1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculator Question

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    Cubic Regression

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (I was given a graph to enter into my calculator):

Let x represent time(in years) since 1980, and let y represent the corresponding U.S production of limousines. Enter the data in a graphing utility and find a cubic regression equation for the data.

2. Relevant equations
    Calculator steps
    Stat ---> Calc --->CubicReg... now what

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the Cubic Regression equation but have forgotten how to make the equation itself appear in the y equals screen so that I can see the graph. I need that to answer the next part of the question.

I believe it should look something like this, but I'm not sure exactly how:

CubicReg L1,Y1,L2

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2
    What kind of calculator do you have?

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    calculator

im using a TI-83 Plus

5. Jan 29, 2008 #4
    I have a TI-89, but this .pdf file may help you out.

http://academic.pg.cc.md.us/psc/TI83_booklet.pdf

Page 5 tells you how to enter data in list form. In your case, list 1 would be x = years since 1980 = 0, 1, 2, 3, .....
    List 2 would be y variables and the entries would be the number of limousines that correspond to the year in the x column. Ex. In year 1980 (x=0), y = 100000 limousines
    were produced.

Page 6-7 tell you how to select cubic regression from the STAT menu and enter the lists (L1, L2) that you want to analyze.

I wish I knew more about the TI-83, but hopefully you can find enough info in the pdf to do the problem.

6. Jan 29, 2008 #5
    thank you

thank you very much, I'm sure that will help. I'll go go check it out right now.

7. Jan 29, 2008 #6
    Thank You

THANK YOU! You area lifesaver, thank you for taking a little bit of time out of your day to save my whole night!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?