What Graphing Calculator Should I Buy for Pre-Calc and Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is starting pre-calc this summer and is looking for advice on what type of calculator to buy for their upcoming calculus and physics classes. They are considering the TI-89 or the TI-Nspire, with or without CAS, and are looking for recommendations from other forum members. The consensus among the members is that a calculator is not always necessary in higher math and physics, but if the student wants to buy one, the TI-Nspire CAS is a good option.
Jake4
I wasn't sure where to post this, as it's just a general question rather than anything actually math related..

I'm starting pre-calc this summer, excellerated, and going into calc 1 at the second half of the summer. This is to get me ready for starting my Physics major in the fall.

I'm a transfer student, who has been very interested in physics for a while now, but only recently got up the guts to switch schools and majors to follow my passion.

ANYWAYS..(through all of that, this is going to sound like a stupid question BUT)

I'm at the stage of buying a calculator. I know for calculus I'll need a graphing calculator such at the TI-89 but now they have these TI-Nspire ones as well, with and without CAS

I have no idea what to buy, and I want to buy something that would be good for all my college years if possible.. basically I would rather over buy right now, so I have something that can last me, rather than buy something just for beginning calc now, and have to buy another one when I get to higher math and physics.and I'm not sure what the consensus is on CAS or non CAS..any info would be great, thanks fellas

Computer science news on Phys.org
Jake4 said:
I wasn't sure where to post this, as it's just a general question rather than anything actually math related..

I'm starting pre-calc this summer, excellerated, and going into calc 1 at the second half of the summer. This is to get me ready for starting my Physics major in the fall.

I'm a transfer student, who has been very interested in physics for a while now, but only recently got up the guts to switch schools and majors to follow my passion.

ANYWAYS..(through all of that, this is going to sound like a stupid question BUT)

I'm at the stage of buying a calculator. I know for calculus I'll need a graphing calculator such at the TI-89 but now they have these TI-Nspire ones as well, with and without CAS

I have no idea what to buy, and I want to buy something that would be good for all my college years if possible.. basically I would rather over buy right now, so I have something that can last me, rather than buy something just for beginning calc now, and have to buy another one when I get to higher math and physics.

and I'm not sure what the consensus is on CAS or non CAS..

any info would be great, thanks fellas

In my experience, in higher math and physics you almost never need a calculator, and when you do any old calculator will be fine.

jason

I concur with JasonRF.

It might be hard for some of you young whippersnappers to imagine, but there are a few of us on this forum who studied calculus before calculators came on the scene.

If you're going to buy a new calculator I would recommend the TI nspire CAS as it does pretty much everything. It's what I use currently to check all my answers.

thats actually refreshing to hear, I prefer math that can be intuited, and done out, rather than plugging extensive equations into calculators.

I think I need a graphing calculator for calculus I believe (they expect it) so should I get the CAS one or non CAS?

1. What are the essential features to look for in a graphing calculator for Pre-Calc and Physics?

The most important features to consider are a large display screen, the ability to graph multiple functions simultaneously, the ability to perform complex calculations and graphing, and the inclusion of built-in functions such as trigonometric and statistical functions.

2. Can I use any graphing calculator for Pre-Calc and Physics?

While any graphing calculator may work for basic calculations, it is recommended to invest in a calculator specifically designed for Pre-Calc and Physics. These calculators often have specialized functions and features that make solving complex equations and graphing functions much easier.

3. Which brand of graphing calculator is the best for Pre-Calc and Physics?

There is no one "best" brand for graphing calculators. However, some popular and reliable brands include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP.

4. Should I buy a graphing calculator with a color display?

While a color display may be visually appealing, it is not a necessary feature for Pre-Calc and Physics. The important factors to consider are the functionality and ease of use of the calculator.

5. Are there any calculators that are not allowed for use in Pre-Calc and Physics exams?

It is best to check with the specific exam guidelines, but generally, any graphing calculator with a computer algebra system (CAS) is not allowed. These calculators have the ability to manipulate and solve equations, which may give an unfair advantage on exams.