Proving Continuity & Finding MacLorin Polynom of f(x)

• Thread starter TheForumLord
  • Start date
In summary: As for the limit as n goes to infinity, you can use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to get lim_{n\to\infty} \sum a_mx^m \leq \sqrt{\frac{2}{m}}.
TheForumLord

Homework Statement

A. Let [tex] g(x)= \sigma\frac{1}{sqrt(n)}(x^{2n}-x^{2n+1}) [/tex]
Prove g(x) is continuous in [0,1].

B. Let f be a function such as f(0)=1 and there's a neighouhood of x=0 in which :
[tex] f ' (x)= 1+(f(x))^{10} [/tex] .
Find the MacLorin Polynom of degree 3 of f(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Have no idea about it...

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For A you need to show that g is continuous at each point in [0, 1]. What's the definition of continuity of a function at a point? Do you have to do this by using the definition of continuity or can you use the fact that this is a polynomial and all polynomials are everywhere continuous?

For B you need f(0), f'(0), f''(0), and f'''(0). You already are given that f(0) = 1, and you have f'(x), which you can evaluate at x = 0.

To find f''(0), you need to find f''(x), which you can do by differentiating f'(x), and then evaluate f''(x) at x = 0.
To find f'''(0), differentiate f''(x), and then evaluate at x = 0.

TheForumLord said:
[b

B. Let f be a function such as f(0)=1 and there's a neighouhood of x=0 in which :
[tex] f ' (x)= 1+(f(x))^{10} [/tex] .
Find the MacLorin Polynom of degree 3 of f(x).

That's "Maclaurin Polynomial".

Well, don't you just need f(0), f'(0), f''(0) and f''(0) to calculate that series? You are given formulas for f(0) and f'(x). You must need a couple more derivatives. You might need the chain rule. Show us your derivatives.

Well, B is completely understandable...
About A->I need to show it's continuous using power-series theorems...If I'll prove that the given power-series is convergeing uniformly to g - I'll be done...I've no idea about it...
I'll be delighted to get some help

Thanks!

Power series? g(x) is a polynomial! You don't need to worry about any power series or convergence! A is not asking about a limit as n goes to infinity is it? It is just about a single polynomial for a fixed value of n.

Or was that [itex]\sigma[/itex] supposed to be [itex]\Sigma[/itex]? That is, is this a sum over all n? In that case, because it is a power series, it converges uniformly inside its radius of convergence. You need only show that its radius of convergence includes [0, 1].

Last edited by a moderator:
That's excatly what I can't understand...how can I find the eadius of con. in this specific case?

tnx

TheForumLord,
A fair amount of time has been wasted because we didn't understand what you were trying to communicate. It has now come to light that your first problem problem is a summation. The Greek alphabet has upper case letters and lower case letters. In particular, upper case sigma, [itex]\Sigma[/itex], is used to represent summations. Lower case sigma, [itex]\sigma[/itex], is used in statistics to represent the population standard deviation. I interpreted [itex]\sigma[/itex] in this problem as a constant. It didn't occur to me that you really meant a summation.

Also, at this stage of your mathematical education, you really ought to learn how to spell "calculus." It's clear to me that you're not likely to be in the finals of a math spelling bee, but at least get calculus right.

Dear Mark44... My english is pretty lame indeed but in this particular case, writing calculus in a wrong way was just a typing mistake - which can occur to anyone...

I didn't know how to write Upper case sigma in Latex so please don't judge me...

TheForumLord said:
Dear Mark44... My english is pretty lame indeed but in this particular case, writing calculus in a wrong way was just a typing mistake - which can occur to anyone...
Sure, anyone can make a typo, but you can eliminate at least some of them by looking over what you've written before you hit the submit button.
TheForumLord said:
I didn't know how to write Upper case sigma in Latex so please don't judge me...
[ tex] \sigma[/tex] or [ itex] \sigma[/itex] (without the leading space) produces [itex]\sigma[/itex].
[ tex] \Sigma[/tex] or [ itex] \Sigma[/itex] (without the leading space) produces [itex]\Sigma[/itex].

Same for all the rest of the Greek letters.

Thanks

Better is \sum :
[tex]\sum[/tex].

By the way, just clicking on a formula in any post will show you the LaTex code used for it.

Your series can be written by separating the even and odd powers- it is [itex]\sum a_mx^m[/itex] with
[tex]a_m= \sqrt{\frac{2}{m}}[/tex]
if m is even and
[tex]a_m= \sqrt{\frac{2}{m-1}}[/tex]
if m is odd.
As for finding the radius of convergence, using the ratio test gives
[tex]|x|< \sqrt{\frac{m+1}{m}}[/tex]
if n= 2m and
[tex]|x|< \sqrt{\frac{m}{m-1}}[/tex]
if n= 2m+1

What is the limit of those as n goes to infinity?

Of course, you will need to check if the sum converges at x= 1 but that is easy.

What is continuity and why is it important in mathematics?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness and connectedness of a function. It means that there are no gaps or jumps in the graph of the function. Continuity is important because it allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of a function without any sudden changes or discontinuities.

How do you prove continuity of a function?

To prove continuity of a function, we need to show that the limit of the function exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done by using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, which states that for any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that if |x - c| < δ, then |f(x) - f(c)| < ε. In simpler terms, this means that as x gets closer and closer to c, the values of f(x) get closer and closer to f(c).

What is a MacLaurin polynomial and how is it useful?

A MacLaurin polynomial is a type of Taylor polynomial, which is a polynomial approximation of a function at a specific point. The MacLaurin polynomial is specifically a Taylor polynomial centered at x = 0. It is useful because it allows us to approximate more complicated functions with simpler polynomials, making it easier to analyze and work with these functions.

How do you find the MacLaurin polynomial of a function?

To find the MacLaurin polynomial of a function, we can use the Taylor series expansion formula, which is given by f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)x^2)/2! + (f'''(0)x^3)/3! + ... + (f^n(0)x^n)/n!. This can be simplified using derivatives and evaluating at x = 0 to get the MacLaurin polynomial of the function.

Can the MacLaurin polynomial be used to approximate any function?

Yes, the MacLaurin polynomial can be used to approximate any function as long as the function is continuous and differentiable at x = 0. However, the accuracy of the approximation will depend on the degree of the polynomial used and the behavior of the function near x = 0. In general, the higher the degree of the polynomial, the more accurate the approximation will be.