1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 1 books

1. Jul 11, 2009 #1
    I have order: Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach, and It is due to arrive tomorrow. I had wanted to buy it because I wanted to learn some physics along with the calculus however now I am starting to think that maybe it was a bad choice since I was thinking that it wasn't a very good book, it might not explain things well or it won't teach me all of the calculus 1 that a pure calculus book would. Have any of you used this book before? I can always send it back and buy a pure calculus book.

P.S I am self teaching it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2
    Instead of criticizing a book you have hardly read, you should probably stick with it for the first few chapters or so. If you don't have the patience to do that, you're not ready for a "pure" calculus book. If it is the morris kline book you are talking about, I very much doubt that it will fail to explain things poorly.

4. Jul 11, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Assuming you're talking about Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach by Morris Kline, I think that the book should work wonderfully for self-teaching yourself. I spent a great deal of last summer self-teaching myself calculus from that book and, while I'm no calculus guru, I certainly understand and have a handle on the calculational aspects of calculus. The book usually tries to provide some measure of proof for any of the major theorems and techniques of calculus (though they are usually informal). Comparing Kline's text to a theory oriented text like Spivak's, Kline definately doesn't discuss things to the same depth but this is usually alright for a first introduction to calculus. This is just my experience with the text.

5. Jul 13, 2009 #4
    What does this book cover? Or calculus 1 and 2?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  6. Jul 13, 2009 #5
    It has Calc I,2, and 3.

However, it doesn't have vector calculus(calc 4), which is essential to physics

7. Jul 13, 2009 #6
    Do you happen to know were single variable calculus ends?

8. Jul 14, 2009 #7

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

It covers differentiation, integration, elementary differential equations, and series.

9. Jul 14, 2009 #8
    Before the chapter on "functions of several variables?"

10. Jul 16, 2009 #9
    There's no such thing as calc 4.

11. Jul 16, 2009 #10

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I think he meant vector calculus, which I don't see just browsing through its contents :uhh:

Some offer vector calculus as a separate course (thus being Calc 4), or sometimes it is included in a Calculus 3 class.

12. Jul 16, 2009 #11
    You don't need much vector calculus for mechanics(albeit the line integral definition of work).

But electromagnetism is basically applied vector calculus.

Personally, I think it is just better to get a calculus only book. "Math for Physicists" books are usually watered down/hard to follow/lacks rigor. Get a standard calculus textbook and buy your physics book separately.

Suggestions-

Calculus
    Calculus- Stewart (standard text is introductory calculus; probably recommended by 80% of PF)
    Calculus: Early Transcendentals-Anton (I like this a bit better)

Introductory Physics
    Physics for scientists and Engineers-Tipler (standard first year uni text; a very nice introduction to basic physics concepts and a basic introduction to "modern physics" needs basic concepts of calculus.)
    An Introduction to Mechanics-Kleppner (Needs mastery of Calc 1&2. One of the more advanced undergraduate mechanics books. Highly recommended.)

13. Jul 23, 2009 #12
    The book I'm reading: Calculus an Intuitive and Physical Approach, has a section for the analytical geometry of ellipse and hyperbola, will I need this?

14. Jul 23, 2009 #13
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook