What is the limit of the given fraction in Calculus 1 homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a limit problem involving a fraction and the use of derivative rules. The final answer should be a fraction of two relatively prime positive integers. After some corrections and using L'hospital's rule, the limit is simplified to 1/4.
youngstudent16

Homework Statement

The limit
##\lim_{x\to\pi}\frac{xcos\frac{x}{2}}{\pi^{2}-x^{2}}##
Can be expressed as a fraction. Solve

2. Relevant equation

3. The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT
See new post for solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind, when taking the derivative, that cos(pi/2) is a constant.

laplacean said:
Keep in mind, when taking the derivative, that cos(pi/2) is a constant.
I know I'm getting 0 as the final answer that's not right though it should be a fraction of two relatively prime positive integers.

youngstudent16 said:
I know I'm getting 0 as the final answer that's not right though it should be a fraction of two relatively prime positive integers.
My mistake I typed the question wrong

The derivative of the top, when derived correctly, will yield a prime number. Just derive xcos(pi/x) as you would derive an x with a constant coefficient. For the bottom, pi^2 is also a constant and should go to 0 when derived. All you have left to deal with would be the -x^2.

laplacean said:
The derivative of the top, when derived correctly, will yield a prime number. Just derive xcos(pi/x) as you would derive an x with a constant coefficient. For the bottom, pi^2 is also a constant and should go to 0 when derived. All you have left to deal with would be the -x^2.
sorry it should be cos(x/2) I read it wrong

youngstudent16 said:

Why is zero incorrect?

youngstudent16 said:
sorry it should be cos(x/2) I read it wrong

Then that makes more sense, what do you get now?

Student100 said:
Why is zero incorrect?
I'm sorry I typed it wrong trying again with Let t=x−π. Then x=t+π,

I did not get zero as an answer. A place where you could be making a computational mistake would be in the derivation of xcos(x/2).

youngstudent16 said:
I'm sorry I typed it wrong trying again with Let t=x−π. Then x=t+π,

Can you go ahead and retype the whole thing? The original limit was zero, the second correction gave a finite value, but retype everything.

That would be much appreciated (:

Student100 said:
Then that makes more sense, what do you get now?
Let ##t=x-\pi## Then ##x=t+\pi##

##\lim_{x\to \pi}\frac{xcos\frac{x}{2}}{\pi^{2}-x{^2}}####=\lim_{t\to 0}\frac{(\pi+t)cos\frac{(\pi+t)}{2}}{\pi^{2}-(\pi+t){^2}}####=\lim_{t\to 0}\frac{(\pi+t)sin\frac{t}{2}}{t^{2}+2\pi t}##

##=\lim_{t\to 0}\left(\frac{\pi + t}{2(t+2\pi)}\cdot \frac{sin\frac{t}{2}}{\frac{t}{2}}\right)####=\frac{1}{4}##Latex thing is neat will use in future

Last edited:
Likes Student100
Can't you use L'hospital's rule since you have an indeterminate limit?

Where lim x→π = f(x)/g(x) is also = lim x→π f'(x)/g'(x)

So just take the derivative of the top divided by the derivative of the bottom. Don't for get chain rule and that π2 is a constant, do not change π2 into 2π. A lot of calculus students make that mistake.

Also remember the derivative of cosθ is -sinθ (A lot of calculus students forget the negative as well)

Can you? Sure. His solution is fine though.

##\lim_{x\to \pi}\frac{xcos\frac{x}{2}}{\pi^{2}-x{^2}}##

=

##\lim_{x\to \pi}\frac{xsin\frac{x}{2}}{4x}##

=

##\frac{1}{4}##

Last edited:
Likes SammyS

1. What is a limit in Calculus 1?

A limit in Calculus 1 is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as it approaches a particular value or point. It is used to define continuity, derivatives, and integrals in Calculus.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function in Calculus 1, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, conjugate multiplication, and L'Hospital's rule. You can also use the graph of the function to estimate the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is the value that a function approaches from only one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit is the value that a function approaches from both the left and the right simultaneously.

4. What are the conditions for a limit to exist?

A limit exists if the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit of a function are equal at the point where the limit is being evaluated. Additionally, the function must be continuous at that point.

5. Why is finding limits important in Calculus 1?

Finding limits is important in Calculus 1 because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It is also used to determine the continuity of a function, which is a crucial concept in Calculus.