1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 1: Limit

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    So I was helping this person the other day, and this problem made me pretty mad.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\frac{\pi}{9}}\left(\frac{\sin x}{x-\frac{\pi}{9}}\right)[/tex]

First, I added and subtracted pi/9. I regrouped the angle so that it was sin[(x-pi/9)+pi/9] and expanded it, but that didn't help at all.

I could use L'Hopital, but this is a calculus 1 problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Might have made you mad because the limit doesn't exist. sin(pi/9) is not equal to zero. The denominator does approach zero.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    Yeah, like Dick already pointed it out, this limit doesn't exist, and it is very easy to notice it by just observing some values to the left and to the right of [tex] \frac{\pi}{9}[/tex] since pi/9 lies in the first quadrant, sin(x) wont change sing.

But the bottom, when we take values to the left of pi/9 will be negative, while to the right positive.
    SO the right hand side limit of this is infinity, while the left hand side -infinity. The overall limit does not exist.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, therefore, you could not use L'Hopital's rule!

6. Oct 7, 2008 #5
    oh shoot! This was a quiz problem and gave the answer -1. Now I'm mad!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?