Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 2 applications

1. Sep 8, 2004 #1
    I was wondering if anyone wanted to chat on applications of calculus 2 (or just give me ideas). Its for a project later in the simester for my calc 2 class and I wanted to brain storm but didnt get far. Any links would be great :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2004 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

great idea.. except nobody knows what you are talking about

ill assume calculus 2 in your school deals with series, integrals, numerical approximation, differential equations, complex numbers, and area/volume integrals

dont have time right now.. if anyone wants to explain applications of each one in detail - go right ahead

4. Sep 11, 2004 #3
    Yes thats what calc2 is where im taking it. And no I dont mean sit there and explain to me its applications, just a an ideas and a real brief summary.

5. Sep 12, 2004 #4
    I had to do a similar paper in calc 2...what I did was head over to the library and search for articles. I ended up writing about map transformations (like the map of earth). some other girl did something about airplanes. there were not a whole lot of articles we could find that we considered good, but they are there, just look around.

6. Sep 16, 2004 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

well i always tell my class that integration is about measuring how big thigns are, how much paint it takes to paint a smokestack, how far it is to a star, how much fuel it takes to send a rocket to mars, how many slaves it took to build cheops pyramid, how long a telephone wire has to be to reach from memphis to san francisco, how much pollution there is in a stream between athens and atlanta, etc etc etc......

7. Sep 16, 2004 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

magnetic imaging is another one, where machines take images of slices of the brain say and combine them to give a picture of the organism and any possible tumors or other problems.

8. Sep 16, 2004 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

oh and i knew a forester who gave a formula for how many btu's were lying on the ground from how high the wood was piled etc etc..

it also keeps numerous loony mathematics types off the streets at nights answering this blog

9. Sep 17, 2004 #8
    The Law of Growth and Decay is an application of Integration. It can be used to measure half-lifes of radioactive elemnts, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?