What is the Length of a Parabolic Segment Using Calculus 3?

In summary, the length of a parabolic segment can be determined using calculus 3 by calculating the arc length of the parabola. This involves using the arc length formula, which takes into account the curve of the parabola and the limits of integration. By solving the integral, the exact length of the parabolic segment can be found. This method is useful in many engineering and mathematical applications, as it allows for precise measurements and calculations of parabolic shapes.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the length of the parabolic segment r = [itex]\frac{12}{1+cos(θ))}[/itex], 0[itex]\leq[/itex]θ[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

L = ∫[itex]\sqrt{f(θ)^{2}+f^{'}(θ)^{2}}[/itex]dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I got up to here and didn't know whta to do

L = 12 [itex]∫^{0}_{\frac{∏}{2}}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]dθ

Wolfram alpha doesn't know neither

[itex]f(θ)^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{12}{1+cos(θ))})^{2}[/itex]
[itex]f^{'}(θ)^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{12sin(θ)}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}})^{2}[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{f(θ)^{2}+f^{'}(θ)^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{12}{1+cos(θ))})^{2}+(\frac{12sin(θ)}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}})^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{12}{1+cos(θ)}\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

Find the length of the parabolic segment r = [itex]\frac{12}{1+cos(θ))}[/itex], 0[itex]\leq[/itex]θ[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

L = ∫[itex]\sqrt{f(θ)^{2}+f^{'}(θ)^{2}}[/itex]dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I got up to here and didn't know whta to do

L = 12 [itex]∫^{0}_{\frac{∏}{2}}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]dθ

Wolfram alpha doesn't know neither
Mod note: Fixed incorrect = in the identity below.
First, simplify the integrand using trig identities such as [itex] \sin^2(\theta) + \cos^2(\theta) = 1. [/itex] After that, Maple manages to do the integral, but I won't report the answer here: you can try again after simplification, substitution, etc. BTW: to get [itex] \int_{0}^{\pi/2}[/itex] you need to type \int_{0}^{\pi/2}, not what you typed.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
oh hm ok thanks i got to go ill be back later

well i tired to simplify it further but keep on getting stuck

12 square root (2) * integral[0,pi/2] d theta/(sin(theta)+sin(2*theta))

is as far as i got

I entered a approximation into the answer box and it told me i was wrong so i guess it wants a exact answer

here is what it said (see attachment) I'm not sure it really helps

also note that I tried to evaluate
12 square root (2) * integral[0,pi/2] d theta/(sin(theta)+sin(2*theta))
using trig substitution with angle alpha
cot(alpha)^2/2 = cos(theta)
I would have to solve for theta
and then find d theta/ d alpha
solve for d alpha
and use the fact that
cos(alpha)^2/sin(theta) = 1/(sin(theta)+sin(2theta))
but I'm not sure if this will all work

i believe that it's equivalent
that is 12 square root (2) * integral[0,pi/2] d theta/(sin(theta)+sin(2*theta))

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
So here is were I'm at now

L = 12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]dθ

from here I used the fact that
1 + cos(θ) = 2[itex]cos^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex])
so
[itex]\frac{sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex]
similarly
[itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{1+\frac{sec^{4}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(θ)}{4}}[/itex]
So I know have the following

L = 12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]dθ = 12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}{2}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{1+\frac{sec^{4}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(θ)}{4}}[/itex]dθ
from here I use the fact that
[itex]sin^{2}[/itex](θ)=4[itex]sin^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex])[itex]cos^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex])
wolfram alpha confirm it's true
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(x)^2=4sin(x/2)^2*cos(x/2)^2
plugging this in I get

12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}{2}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{1+sec^{4}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})cos^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}[/itex]dθ=6 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}[/itex]dθ, u = [itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{du}{dθ}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex],du=[itex]\frac{dθ}{2}[/itex],dθ=2du,L=12 [itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(u)[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+sec^{2}(u)sin^{2}(u)}[/itex]du=12 [itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(u)[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+tan^{2}(u)}[/itex]du
then from here I use
[itex]sin^{2}(θ)[/itex])+[itex]cos^{2}(θ)[/itex]=1
that if I divide through by [itex]cos^{2}(θ)[/itex] I get
[itex]tan^{2}(θ)[/itex])+1=[itex]sec^{2}(θ)[/itex]
L=12 [itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(u)[/itex][itex]\sqrt{sec^{2}(u)}[/itex]du=12[itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{3}(u)[/itex]du
then because
∫[itex]sec^{n}(x)dx = \frac{sec^{n-2}(x)tan(x)}{n-1}+\frac{n-2}{n-1}∫sec^{n-2}(x)dx[/itex]
we got
12[itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{3}(u)du=12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}∫sec(u)du]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex]
and because
∫sec(x)dx=ln|sec(x)+tan(x)|+c
we got
[itex]12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}∫sec(u)du]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}=12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}ln(|sec(u)+tan(u)|)]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex]
plugging back in
u = [itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex]
we got
[itex]12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}ln(|sec(u)+tan(u)|)]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}=12[\frac{sec(\frac{θ}{2})tan(\frac{θ}{2})+ln|sec(θ/2)+tan(\frac{θ}{2})|}{2}]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}=12[\frac{sec(\frac{∏}{4})tan(\frac{∏}{4})+ln(|sec(∏/4)+tan(\frac{∏}{4})|)}{2}-\frac{sec(0)tan(0)+ln(|sec(0)+tan(0)|}{2})=12[\frac{\sqrt{2}+ln(|\sqrt{2}+1|)}{2}-0][/itex]=6([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]+ln([itex]\sqrt{2}+1)[/itex])

Last edited:
I haven't worked the problem through, but here is what I got.

r2 + (r')2 = [tex]\frac{288}{(1 + cosθ)^3}[/tex]

You still need to take the square root, and then integrate that result. No doubt another trig identity will come in useful.

I have no idea how you got that. I get

[itex]\frac{144}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{144(1-cos^{2}(θ))}{(1+cos(θ))^{4}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{144}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}(1+[/itex][itex]\frac{1-cos^{2}(θ)}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}[/itex])

when I try to expand it

Last edited:
well i found one mistake in my work i forgot to square the two let's see...

GreenPrint said:
I have no idea how you got that. I get

[itex]\frac{144}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{144(1-cos^{2}(θ))}{(1+cos(θ))^{4}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{144}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}(1+[/itex][itex]\frac{1-cos^{2}(θ)}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}[/itex])

when I try to expand it

In the first line above, 1 - cos2θ = sin2θ, right?

yes...
if you see I believe I had the right answer above... I actually got an answer which is a improvement...
I got the integral of sec^3(x) dx
but I get the wrong answer did I use the wrong reduction formula or something =( I think it's the right reduction formula but I'm not sure

ok well i did use the right reduction formula
at first i had tan(pi/4)=sqrt(2)/2 but it's one i fixed that and updated my answer above
I don't see what I've done wrong but apparently it is
my calculator gives me 13.77735
and when i put in the answer i got i get 7.4787

I checked what I had in wolframalpha, and got 13.7735 (two 7's, not 3), which sort of agrees with your calculator answer.

You have a ton of stuff in post #6, too much to wade through to find an error.

The integral should look like this, if my work is correct:
[tex]12\sqrt{2}\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{d\theta}{(1 + cos\theta)^{3/2}}[/tex]

There's a half-angle identity that might be useful here: cosθ + 1 = 2 cos2(θ/2). This turns the integral above into
[tex]12\sqrt{2}\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{d\theta}{(2^{3/2}cos^3(\theta/2))}[/tex]

Then it should be a relatively simple matter of integrating sec3 of something. There's a wikepedia page on this integral.

ya the only problem is that i don't think there is an error in my work i have checked over it a lot, it's not as long as it seems it's just that I showed each step and my reasoning and any formulas I used, I included the reduction formula for integrating secant
I got it down to
12 integral sec^3(u) du

similar to what you got
6*sqrt(2) integral sec^3(x)
interesting enough when i enter this into my calculator with limits i get divide by zero error :O when i try to put in what you got 12*sqrt(2)*integral[0,pi/2] sec^3(x)dx
and wolfram alpha
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...t(2)*integral[0,pi/2]+sec^3(x)dx&incTime=true
couldn't give an approximation or exact answer
hmm...

it told me that the correct answer is
6*(sqrt(2)+ln(1+sqrt(2))
yay i got it right and found my error yippeeee

Last edited:

1. What is Calculus 3 - Length of Curve?

Calculus 3 - Length of Curve is a mathematical concept in which we use calculus to find the length of a curve or a portion of a curve. It is an advanced topic in calculus and is typically covered in the third semester of calculus courses.

2. How do you find the length of a curve using Calculus 3?

To find the length of a curve using Calculus 3, we use a method called integration. This involves dividing the curve into small segments and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of each segment. Then, we add up all the lengths of the segments to get an estimate of the length of the curve. As we make the segments smaller and smaller, our estimate becomes more accurate.

3. What is the difference between Calculus 3 - Length of Curve and Calculus 1 - Area Under a Curve?

Calculus 3 - Length of Curve and Calculus 1 - Area Under a Curve are both concepts in calculus that involve finding a quantity related to a curve. However, they differ in what they are finding. Calculus 3 - Length of Curve finds the length of a curve, while Calculus 1 - Area Under a Curve finds the area under a curve.

4. What are some real-life applications of Calculus 3 - Length of Curve?

Calculus 3 - Length of Curve has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and architecture. It can be used to find the length of a curved path, the distance traveled by a moving object, or the arc length of a bridge or rollercoaster track.

5. Is it necessary to know Calculus 1 and 2 before learning Calculus 3 - Length of Curve?

Yes, it is necessary to have a strong understanding of Calculus 1 and 2 before learning Calculus 3 - Length of Curve. This is because Calculus 3 builds upon the concepts learned in the previous two calculus courses and assumes a certain level of knowledge and understanding. It is important to have a solid foundation in calculus before moving on to more advanced topics like Calculus 3 - Length of Curve.