1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 3 - Length of Curve

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the length of the parabolic segment r = [itex]\frac{12}{1+cos(θ))}[/itex], 0[itex]\leq[/itex]θ[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

L = ∫[itex]\sqrt{f(θ)^{2}+f^{'}(θ)^{2}}[/itex]dθ

3. The attempt at a solution

I got up to here and didn't know whta to do

L = 12 [itex]∫^{0}_{\frac{∏}{2}}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]dθ

Wolfram alpha doesn't know neither

[itex]f(θ)^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{12}{1+cos(θ))})^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]f^{'}(θ)^{2}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{12sin(θ)}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}})^{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\sqrt{f(θ)^{2}+f^{'}(θ)^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{12}{1+cos(θ))})^{2}+(\frac{12sin(θ)}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}})^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{12}{1+cos(θ)}\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mod note: Fixed incorrect = in the identity below.
    First, simplify the integrand using trig identities such as [itex] \sin^2(\theta) + \cos^2(\theta) = 1. [/itex] After that, Maple manages to do the integral, but I won't report the answer here: you can try again after simplification, substitution, etc. BTW: to get [itex] \int_{0}^{\pi/2}[/itex] you need to type \int_{0}^{\pi/2}, not what you typed.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    oh hm ok thanks i got to go ill be back later

5. Feb 4, 2012 #4
    well i tired to simplify it further but keep on getting stuck

12 square root (2) * integral[0,pi/2] d theta/(sin(theta)+sin(2*theta))

is as far as i got

6. Feb 4, 2012 #5
    I entered a approximation into the answer box and it told me i was wrong so i guess it wants a exact answer

here is what it said (see attachment) I'm not sure it really helps

also note that I tried to evaluate
    12 square root (2) * integral[0,pi/2] d theta/(sin(theta)+sin(2*theta))
    using trig substitution with angle alpha
    cot(alpha)^2/2 = cos(theta)
    I would have to solve for theta
    and then find d theta/ d alpha
    solve for d alpha
    and use the fact that
    cos(alpha)^2/sin(theta) = 1/(sin(theta)+sin(2theta))
    but I'm not sure if this will all work

i believe that it's equivalent
    that is 12 square root (2) * integral[0,pi/2] d theta/(sin(theta)+sin(2*theta))

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  7. Feb 6, 2012 #6
    So here is were I'm at now

L = 12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]dθ

from here I used the fact that
    1 + cos(θ) = 2[itex]cos^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex])
    so
    [itex]\frac{sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex]
    similarly
    [itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{1+\frac{sec^{4}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(θ)}{4}}[/itex]
    So I know have the following

L = 12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{1+cos(θ)}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+(\frac{sin(θ)}{1+cos(θ)})^{2}}[/itex]dθ = 12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}{2}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{1+\frac{sec^{4}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(θ)}{4}}[/itex]dθ
    from here I use the fact that
    [itex]sin^{2}[/itex](θ)=4[itex]sin^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex])[itex]cos^{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex])
    wolfram alpha confirm it's true
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(x)^2=4sin(x/2)^2*cos(x/2)^2
    plugging this in I get

12 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}{2}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{1+sec^{4}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})cos^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}[/itex]dθ=6 [itex]∫^{\frac{∏}{2}}_{0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+sec^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})sin^{2}(\frac{θ}{2})}[/itex]dθ, u = [itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{du}{dθ}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex],du=[itex]\frac{dθ}{2}[/itex],dθ=2du,L=12 [itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(u)[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+sec^{2}(u)sin^{2}(u)}[/itex]du=12 [itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(u)[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+tan^{2}(u)}[/itex]du
    then from here I use
    [itex]sin^{2}(θ)[/itex])+[itex]cos^{2}(θ)[/itex]=1
    that if I divide through by [itex]cos^{2}(θ)[/itex] I get
    [itex]tan^{2}(θ)[/itex])+1=[itex]sec^{2}(θ)[/itex]
    L=12 [itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{2}(u)[/itex][itex]\sqrt{sec^{2}(u)}[/itex]du=12[itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{3}(u)[/itex]du
    then because
    ∫[itex]sec^{n}(x)dx = \frac{sec^{n-2}(x)tan(x)}{n-1}+\frac{n-2}{n-1}∫sec^{n-2}(x)dx[/itex]
    we got
    12[itex]∫^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex] [itex]sec^{3}(u)du=12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}∫sec(u)du]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex]
    and because
    ∫sec(x)dx=ln|sec(x)+tan(x)|+c
    we got
    [itex]12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}∫sec(u)du]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}=12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}ln(|sec(u)+tan(u)|)]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}[/itex]
    plugging back in
    u = [itex]\frac{θ}{2}[/itex]
    we got
    [itex]12[\frac{sec(u)tan(u)}{2}+\frac{1}{2}ln(|sec(u)+tan(u)|)]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}=12[\frac{sec(\frac{θ}{2})tan(\frac{θ}{2})+ln|sec(θ/2)+tan(\frac{θ}{2})|}{2}]|^{θ=\frac{∏}{2}}_{θ=0}=12[\frac{sec(\frac{∏}{4})tan(\frac{∏}{4})+ln(|sec(∏/4)+tan(\frac{∏}{4})|)}{2}-\frac{sec(0)tan(0)+ln(|sec(0)+tan(0)|}{2})=12[\frac{\sqrt{2}+ln(|\sqrt{2}+1|)}{2}-0][/itex]=6([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]+ln([itex]\sqrt{2}+1)[/itex])

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. Feb 6, 2012 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I haven't worked the problem through, but here is what I got.

r2 + (r')2 = [tex]\frac{288}{(1 + cosθ)^3}[/tex]

You still need to take the square root, and then integrate that result. No doubt another trig identity will come in useful.

9. Feb 6, 2012 #8
    I have no idea how you got that. I get

[itex]\frac{144}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{144(1-cos^{2}(θ))}{(1+cos(θ))^{4}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{144}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}(1+[/itex][itex]\frac{1-cos^{2}(θ)}{(1+cos(θ))^{2}}[/itex])

when I try to expand it

10. Feb 6, 2012 #9
    well i found one mistake in my work i forgot to square the two lets see...

11. Feb 6, 2012 #10

Mark44

In the first line above, 1 - cos2θ = sin2θ, right?

12. Feb 6, 2012 #11
    yes...
    if you see I believe I had the right answer above... I actually got an answer which is a improvement...
    I got the integral of sec^3(x) dx
    but I get the wrong answer did I use the wrong reduction formula or something =( I think it's the right reduction formula but I'm not sure

13. Feb 6, 2012 #12
    ok well i did use the right reduction formula
    at first i had tan(pi/4)=sqrt(2)/2 but it's one i fixed that and updated my answer above
    I don't see what I've done wrong but apparently it is
    my calculator gives me 13.77735
    and when i put in the answer i got i get 7.4787

14. Feb 6, 2012 #13

Mark44

I checked what I had in wolframalpha, and got 13.7735 (two 7's, not 3), which sort of agrees with your calculator answer.

You have a ton of stuff in post #6, too much to wade through to find an error.

The integral should look like this, if my work is correct:
    [tex]12\sqrt{2}\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{d\theta}{(1 + cos\theta)^{3/2}}[/tex]

There's a half-angle identity that might be useful here: cosθ + 1 = 2 cos2(θ/2). This turns the integral above into
    [tex]12\sqrt{2}\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{d\theta}{(2^{3/2}cos^3(\theta/2))}[/tex]

Then it should be a relatively simple matter of integrating sec3 of something. There's a wikepedia page on this integral.

15. Feb 6, 2012 #14
    ya the only problem is that i don't think there is an error in my work i have checked over it a lot, it's not as long as it seems it's just that I showed each step and my reasoning and any formulas I used, I included the reduction formula for integrating secant
    I got it down to
    12 integral sec^3(u) du

similar to what you got
    6*sqrt(2) integral sec^3(x)
    interesting enough when i enter this into my calculator with limits i get divide by zero error :O when i try to put in what you got 12*sqrt(2)*integral[0,pi/2] sec^3(x)dx
    and wolfram alpha
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...t(2)*integral[0,pi/2]+sec^3(x)dx&incTime=true
    couldn't give an approximation or exact answer
    hmm...

16. Feb 6, 2012 #15
    it told me that the correct answer is
    6*(sqrt(2)+ln(1+sqrt(2))
    yay i got it right and found my error yippeeee

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook