Calculus 3: Show Intersection of Tetrahedron Vertices & Centers of Gravity

In summary, we show that the intervals connecting vertices of a tetrahedron with centers of gravity of opposite sides intersect at the center of gravity of a normal tetrahedron. The center of gravity is (P+Q+R+S)/4.
feelau

Homework Statement

So we're suppose to show that the intervals connecting vertices of a tetrahedron with centers of gravity of opposite sides interesect at one point, namely the center of gravity of a normal tetrahedron. The center of gravity is (P+Q+R+S)/4.

Homework Equations

All I know is we have to somehow work with vectors so we at the end, we end up with result.

I really have no idea how to start. Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
you have to use triple integration. it's not really a proof, but a calculation.

That can't be right, we just barely started this class and we're only learning about vectors and haven't done anything with integration :bugeye:

you said center of gravity of a normal tetrahedron. that must involve triple integration, unless the density is uniform throughout the tetrahedron, which you did not state.

if the density is uniform, simply intersect two lines, each of which go from one vertex to the center of the opposite triangle, which is at one third the height of the triangle.

Last edited:
Well we show that the lines going from one vertice to the center of gravity of opposite sides will end up crossing each other right in the middle of the tetrahedron(the very center). The problem says that at that point, we know the answer is (P+Q+R+S)/4 where the letters correspond to vertices. We're suppose to use vectors to show that, at that middle point, we'll get (P+Q+R+S)/4. I think you're interpreting it another way, perhaps this made more sense?

Last edited:
you can think along the lines of use the center of gravity formula for 4 masses:

cg = [m1(P) + m2(Q) +m3(R) + m4(S)]/(m1+m2+m3+m4)

think of what m1,m2,m3,m4 would be in your special case.

but the symmetry argument using the interesection of two lines should also work too.

well there would be four lines all crossing at the center of gravity and I'm suppose to show that with vectors though because this is a vector problem. I know the physics concept of it(learned it last semester) but I need to show it with vectors. Do you have any ideas?

using nothing but vectors?

how about place the center of gravity at the origin, by symmetry (which we can use due to the simple conditions of the object) the four vertices must be equidistant from the origin. you can figure out the other symmetry properties to argue that the sum of the four vectors must be zero.

i don't like this solution very much, but i haven't taken vector courses since i was 11.

Last edited:
hm...ok...i'll look into it. thanks

1. What is Calculus 3 and how is it different from Calculus 1 and 2?

Calculus 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of Calculus 1 and 2 to functions with more than one independent variable. This includes topics such as vectors, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

2. What is the intersection of tetrahedron vertices and centers of gravity?

The intersection of tetrahedron vertices and centers of gravity is the point at which the lines connecting the vertices of a tetrahedron intersect with the lines connecting the centers of gravity of its faces. This point is important in determining the centroid, or center of mass, of the tetrahedron. It is also used in applications such as structural engineering and computer graphics.

3. How do you show the intersection of tetrahedron vertices and centers of gravity using Calculus 3?

To show the intersection of tetrahedron vertices and centers of gravity using Calculus 3, we can use techniques such as vector calculus and triple integrals. By setting up equations for the lines connecting the vertices and centers of gravity, we can find the point of intersection using methods such as solving systems of equations or finding critical points.

4. What real-world applications use the concept of the intersection of tetrahedron vertices and centers of gravity?

One real-world application that uses the concept of the intersection of tetrahedron vertices and centers of gravity is in structural engineering. The centroid of a tetrahedron is important in determining its stability and strength, and the intersection point can help engineers design more stable structures. This concept is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.

5. What are some other important concepts in Calculus 3?

In addition to the intersection of tetrahedron vertices and centers of gravity, other important concepts in Calculus 3 include vector fields, line integrals, and Green's theorem. These topics are crucial in understanding physical phenomena such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and motion in three dimensions. Other important applications of Calculus 3 include optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function with multiple variables, and applications in economics and finance.