Should I Take Calculus 3 as a Junior in High School?

In summary, The student is taking Calculus BC and is worried about whether or not taking Calculus III at a nearby college will reflect poorly on their application. There are a few different paths that the student could take depending on their understanding of the material and their goals. One option is to retake Calculus I & II at a college, another option is to skip Calculus III and move on to a more advanced course, and the last option is to not take Calculus III at all.
hamburgler
Um I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but w/e:

I'm taking calc BC right now as a junior and my teacher gave me the option to take calc 3 at a college nearby. However, my grasp of calculus is...weak. I think it would look great for college apps, but I fear complete failure taking calc 3...

What do you, members of PF, think I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about taking Calculus I & II at a College? Least you'll be learning and being taught it at a College level. It will prepare you far more than continuing on knowing you're Calculus is weak. It's just too important! You're still young, and I'm glad that you're not blindly jumping into the ocean.

Yeah that's what I would optimally prefer to do, but I'm afraid that admissions officers reviewing my application will look down upon, wondering why I am taking the course twice.

hamburgler said:
Yeah that's what I would optimally prefer to do, but I'm afraid that admissions officers reviewing my application will look down upon, wondering why I am taking the course twice.

It won't have bearing on anything, there's nothing wrong with re-taking a class if you feel you need more time to understand it.

hamburgler said:
Screw them and that isn't the kind of attitude you should have towards your future! Having a solid foundation is too important. If they give you crap about it, just say your HS sucked and you wanted a better treatment ;)

do what you need to do not what will look good

Last edited:
The issue seems to be not what you should do in your situation, but what is your situation.
-if you really do not understand any of what you have learned by all means reteke
-if you have some understanding review and take the next one
thoughts
AP Calculus has caused some problems
-at some colleges they
1) Teach calculus as remedial (you should no this by now)
2) Teach calculus like AP calculus
3) Teach calculus like the do not care
hello 700 students Me id newt to yous lands I's will be taught yours der ricci calculi for me be's fisrt years student grad!
4) Teach calculus from terrible books
if any of 1-4 apply run don't walk away from that calculsu class

Maybe you understand better than you think
No one understands every thing and better students better understand what they do not understand better
If you have some basic understanding and computational ability some more time an practice could help more than you expect

AP Calculus has causes
-Bad Calculus instruction
-students who view it as practice
as such it is quite commom for students to repeat AP classes (even when the got A's and 5's) in college
that is not bad, but what is bad is if
they give 50% effort each attemp
learn little of wrong stuff on one or both attemps

I definitely agree that it is more important to go back and master the stuff from Calculus I & II. There were three high school kids in my math class last semester and they barely squeaked by. Save yourself the gas and find a solid text on single variable calculus.

What is Calculus 3?

Calculus 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables, including vectors and matrices. It builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus 1 and 2, but introduces new topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

What are some real-world applications of Calculus 3?

Calculus 3 has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving motion, optimization, and multivariable systems. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the maximum profit for a business, or analyze the behavior of complex systems.

What are some key topics covered in Calculus 3?

Some of the main topics covered in Calculus 3 include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector functions, and vector calculus. Other important concepts include gradient, divergence, and curl, as well as their applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Students also learn about surfaces, lines, and planes in three-dimensional space.

How is Calculus 3 different from Calculus 1 and 2?

Calculus 3 builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus 1 and 2, but introduces new topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. It also focuses on functions of multiple variables, rather than just single variable functions. Additionally, Calculus 3 involves more advanced mathematical techniques and requires a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry.

What are some tips for succeeding in Calculus 3?

Some tips for succeeding in Calculus 3 include practicing regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and using resources such as textbooks and online tutorials. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts from Calculus 1 and 2. Additionally, working through challenging problems and understanding the applications of Calculus 3 in real-world situations can help improve understanding and retention of the material.