Which AP Calculus Exam Should I Take? AB or BC

• Thread starter chuckd1356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: Personally, I think that if you're good at math, you'll be able to handle it. If you're not confident in your abilities, I would wait until your senior year and get a better book.In summary, Warren is studying calculus on his own and is getting help from his physics teacher when he needs it. He bought a book and it has been helpful. He plans to take the AP calculus exam in his senior year and is unsure of what the differences between the AB and BC exams are.
chuckd1356
So I'm studying calculus on my own, independently. I'm a junior in high school, and I'm getting help from my Physics teacher when I need help.
I bought this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534359493/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and it's great. I've learned a lot from it so far and haven't had any problems with the problems...

So if I decide to take the AP Calculus exam, which I probably will, which one do I need to take... Calculus AB or BC?

Thanks...
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your confidence in your abilities. But if you're good enough in math that you're taking calculus early, then you should take the BC exam (it is more difficult, and will get you more college credits). If you have an easy time understanding the concepts, definitely the BC exam is for you.

AB is intended to test student who have had roughly one year of calculus; BC is intended to test those who have had roughly two. If you have been studying the subject for less than a year, take the AB exam.

Keep in mind that most schools will not give credit for scores lower than 4 on either test. If you think you could only manage a 3 on the BC, but a 4 or 5 on the AB, definitely take the AB instead.

- Warren

Alright, well I'm finishing up limits right now in the book, and I've been working on it for roughly a week. So I'm really early.

But it's not the first time I've been exposed to it. I started to learn it last year, very briefly... but my foundations weren't solid enough.
Now that I'm comfortable with everything, it's coming really easy and quick.

Is there any difference in material on the BC compared to the AB?

Yes. Look them up online, and you can get detailed information on what topics are covered. Then you can probably make a better decision. If you are not taking the exam until your senior year, then you certainly have enough time to cover all of the BC material in detail, I would think.

Uh, yes, the BC exam tests at least a semesters' worth of material that does not appear on the AB. That's rather the point. If you're just finishing up limits now, you're maybe one-quarter of the way to being ready to sit for the AB exam.

- Warren

Alright, is there any downside to taking the AB exam at the end of my junior year?

It doesn't matter when you take it -- just make sure you're ready for it. I don't know the rules about taking it twice, or even if it's possible.

- Warren

I'll have to sit down with my guidance counselors and have a chat with them about it.

If you're only just now covering limits, do you think you'll actually be ready for the AB exam that soon? Read about the two tests here:

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/subjects.html

and decide for yourself. But the BC is definitely more valuable, if you think you can learn all the material by the end of your senior year.

Remember I'm a junior... Or do you think it would take that long to learn the material?

That is, take me until my senior year to learn it.

It should take about a year to learn the AB material, and another year or so to learn the BC material in detail. Supposedly, A, B, and C refer to semesters, but few schools break up their core classes into semesters.

- Warren

Hmm, I'll stick with the AB exam for now. :cool:

Actually BC is intended to cover the first two college calculus classes in a lot of colleges. (Calc I and II) AB is like Calc I and 1/4

learn some geometry and algebra. AP calc is a joke.

mathwonk said:

Agreed. I don't know the distinctions between AP and BC or whatever, but if its being taught at a high school it probably is a joke. Wait for University, get a good book and learn from an experienced teacher, not a physics teacher. No offense, but the way physicists view/use/teach math can be shocking.

Gib Z said:
Agreed. I don't know the distinctions between AP and BC or whatever, but if its being taught at a high school it probably is a joke. Wait for University, get a good book and learn from an experienced teacher, not a physics teacher. No offense, but the way physicists view/use/teach math can be shocking.

Why do you say that? Physicists apply mathematics, isn't that the purpose of math -- to be used?

mathwonk said:

Why do you say that? There are a few seniors who took Calc BC last year and are the taking Calc III at a university this year and are doing extremely well in the class. It's just basic calculus regardless of where you get it I mean unless you want to be a mathematician then it's fine, I don't get why you're so opposed to the idea? If you want every piece of theory behind it go read Apostol but I mean for future engineer's it's plenty for a starting calculus class.

There is purpose of mathematics somewhat varies between your field - someone who specializes in mathematical physics will say maths is to be used, someone who specializes in number theory will say that it's quite hard to find an application to a certain theorem, but it's damn beautiful. I'm just saying, Physicists use unjustified steps to get to true results, just because they know beforehand the result. If they do not properly justify certain steps, its horrible math. A famous example might be where String theorists had to sum the positive integers from 1 to n, as n approaches infinity, and the value of this 1) paradoxically had to be finite for physical reasons and 2) it had to be -1/12 to fit in nicely with the number of dimensions in use. It was known however that not usual summation operator, but the Ramanujan summation method yielded that sum. Most papers however will 1) not tell you they switched operators hence 2) avoids having the justify the switch.

I know some algebra and geom... haha How would I be learning calc if I didn't already know that stuff?

And what the hell is wrong with trying to learn? I'm motivated.
Just because I want to succeed, and I appreciate mathematics doesn't mean I shouldn't work hard in HS!

I take it you didn't take calc in HS? Or maybe you had a teacher who didn't care?
I never said I was taking the course. I said I was reading a textbook, and comprehending every last word of it. I'm not a tool. It's not that difficult.

I don't understand why you would ever say that taking calc in HS is a waste of time. Obviously you don't want to do much with life, or you're just not motivated enough. I'm sorry if you're that person who goes to work everyday, and hates every last bit of it. Which is kind of hard to believe considering you're spending a whole lot of time on this forum discussing physics and math.

Maybe I don't want to do physics for a job, which I have no clue if I'm going to or not. I thought this would be a good resource to learn from when I joined, but from your attitude, I guess I was mistaken. It's just a place to get shot down, and have fellow members telling you that what you want to do is ridiculous and that it's a waste of time. Way to help a high schoolers self-esteem.

Thanks,
tell the mods that they just lost another member.

Tool.

BTW, this message is directed towards mathwonk and gibs z.
And don't you think that I'll learn more proper math, and better ways to do it when I get to college? Hmm... for a Physicist Helped (if you can be called that) you're not really helping me.

Last edited:
chuckd1356,

I don't think mathwonk and Gib Z are saying that you should not be studying calc in high school, nor are they trying to insult you. They're just saying that calculus is usually much better presented in college than in high school. They're suggesting that maybe you should take some calculus courses in college, even if you place out of them with an AP test, because you might get more out of them.

I don't think anyone would fault you for trying to challenge yourself.

- Warren

The problem is, I'm bored with my math classes at school. So basically said, "The hell with it". I got online, and ordered a book, and found it to be actually pretty easy. If I test out of Calculus AB, I'm planning on going to UNH to take Calculus II (or however they label it). So I'm not intending to teach my self math, nor do I believe that it is always going to be easy... in fact, I'm sure it's going to get a hell of a lot harder.

Since this thread has devolved into irrational bouts of name-calling and insult-hurling, it has been closed. Learn how to behave yourselves better in the future, kids.

- Warren

Last edited:

1. Should I take the AP Calculus AB or BC exam?

It ultimately depends on your level of understanding and comfort with calculus. If you have a strong foundation in precalculus and feel confident in your ability to learn new concepts quickly, then BC may be a good option for you. However, if you are still building your calculus skills and want a more manageable workload, then AB may be a better choice.

2. What is the difference between the two exams?

The main difference between the AP Calculus AB and BC exams is the depth and breadth of content covered. BC covers all the topics in AB, plus additional topics such as parametric, polar, and vector functions, series, and additional integration techniques. BC also moves at a faster pace and requires a deeper understanding of calculus concepts.

3. Will taking the BC exam give me more college credit than the AB exam?

It depends on the college or university you plan to attend. Some schools may give the same amount of credit for both exams, while others may give more credit for the BC exam since it covers more material. It is best to check with the specific institutions you are interested in to see their policies.

4. Is one exam considered more difficult than the other?

Many students may find the BC exam more challenging due to the faster pace and additional topics covered. However, this can also depend on individual strengths and weaknesses. Some students may find the AB exam more difficult if they struggle with certain concepts covered in that exam.

5. Can I switch from BC to AB or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from one exam to the other, but it is not recommended. BC covers all the topics in AB, so if you start with BC and then switch to AB, you may end up repeating some material. It is best to make a decision at the beginning of the course and stick with that exam.