Calculus and Beyond: Time to Split Up?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of splitting up the forum "Calculus and Beyond" into more specific subcategories. Suggestions for subcategories include Precalculus, Introductory Calculus, and Advanced Calculus and Beyond. The consideration for including topics such as limits and basic linear analysis is also mentioned.
ehrenfest
I think it might be time to split up "Calculus and Beyond". I can't think of many good subcategories that are broad enough though...

Physics news on Phys.org
As in an Algebra homework section?

ehrenfest said:
I think it might be time to split up "Calculus and Beyond". I can't think of many good subcategories that are broad enough though...

You could extend it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Lightyear" .

..but, seriously, folks...

you could have:
Precalculus
Introductory Calculus
Advanced Calculus and Beyond
(akin to Introductory Physics and Advanced Physics)

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
You could extend it "To Infinity and Beyond".
:rofl:

Precalculus
Introductory Calculus
Advanced Calculus and Beyond
I was thinking along those lines myself.

The introductory material on derivatives and integrals gets lost in the middle of ordinary and partial differential equations, tensors, differential geometry, . . . The math forum has 7 categories!

Besides algebra, trigonometry, analytical geometry, some basic linear analysis, what would precalculus embody?

Limits would go in Introductory Calculus?

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and modeling many real-world phenomena, such as the movement of objects, the growth of populations, and the behavior of systems.

2. What topics are covered in "Calculus and Beyond: Time to Split Up?"

This course covers topics beyond the standard calculus curriculum, such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. It also introduces students to more advanced mathematical concepts, such as optimization, complex numbers, and partial differential equations.

3. Is this course suitable for beginners?

No, this course is designed for students who have already completed a standard calculus curriculum and have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It is intended for students who are looking to deepen their understanding of calculus and prepare for more advanced studies in mathematics, physics, or engineering.

4. How is this course different from other calculus courses?

This course goes beyond the traditional curriculum of a standard calculus course and introduces students to more advanced mathematical concepts. It also focuses on the application of calculus in the real world, rather than just theoretical concepts. Additionally, it includes interactive activities and real-world examples to help students better understand the material.

5. What are the benefits of taking "Calculus and Beyond: Time to Split Up?"

By taking this course, students will develop a deeper understanding of calculus and its applications, which can be useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It also provides a solid foundation for further studies in mathematics and other STEM fields.