1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculus and Statistics

1. Feb 6, 2005 #1
    Hello all

Let's say we have [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{\frac{-1}{2\phi^2}} [/tex] where [tex] \phi [/tex] is a standarized normal variable. Let [tex] R_{i} = \frac{S_{i+1} - S_{i}}{S_{i}} [/tex]Also let's say we have a time step [tex] \delta t [/tex] and the mean of the returns scaled with the timestep.Then mean = [tex] \mu\delta t [/tex]

Then why does [tex] \frac{S_{i+1}-S_{i}}{S_{i}} = \mu\delta t [/tex]? Isn't this supposed to be a z-score? Also suppose we want to know how the standard deviation scales with the timestep [tex] \delta t [/tex] The sample standard deviation is [tex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{M-1}\sum^M_{i=1}(R_{i}-R)^2} [/tex] How do we use this to get standard deviation = [tex]\sigma\delta t^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

Also why does [tex] R_{i} = \mu\delta t + \sigma\phi\delta t ^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2005 #2
    is it because there is a random term and a deterministic term?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook