1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus arc length problem

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    C: y=f(x)=e^x, where x is all real numbers.
    Compute the arc-length function S for C relative to C's y-intercept
    Computer the area S for the surface generated by revolving the curve C*:y=f(x)=e&x, where x is [0,a] and a is a positive constant, about the x-axis

I've been trying this problem for 2 weeks and have gotten stuck. I usually don't ask for help because I figure that help doesn't get me anywhere and that I prefer to do everything on my own, but this problem is due after spring break, which is on Monday. I've done this problem to the point where my head literally feels like exploding. Please..someone help.

The answer I ended up with ln |csc theta - cotangent theta|. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi froogle30! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Show us how you got ln(cscθ - cotθ), and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook