1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus area element help

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f(x,y,z)=x^2yz. Express f*dA in terms of u and v.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We're given that
    x= u+v
    y= u-v
    z= u^2+v^2.

The main problem I'm having is that I know I need to take partial derivatives in respect to u and v but I'm not sure how. I did an easier problem that required me to find the area element and I had to take the partial of x in respect to u, then the partial of y in respect to u. In that problem the x, y, z were separated but in this case, x y and z are all together so I'm not sure how to separate them and take the partials to find are element. Thanks :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2
    chain rule
  4. Apr 16, 2007 #3
    so do i just substitute all of those equations into x^2yz and take the derivatives once in respect to u and then once in respect to v?
  5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

dA is given by the "fundamental vector product": First write the surface as a vector function of the two parameters:
    [tex]\vec{r}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}= (u+v)\vec{i}+ (u-v)\vec{j}+ (u^2+ v^2)\vec{k}[/tex]
    Now take the derivatives with respect to each parameter:
    [tex]\vec{r}_u= \vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ 2u\vec{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}_v= \vec{i}- \vec{j}+ 2v\vec{k}[/tex]

The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of those two vectors. Since they both are tangent to the circus (in the direction of the "coordinate axes for coordinates u and v) their cross product is perpendicular to the surface and its length is the "differential of surface area"
    If I have done the calculation correctly (something I never guarentee!) then
    [tex]dS= 2\sqrt{2u^2+ 2v^2+ 1}dudv[/tex]
    and f(u,v)dA is
    [tex]2(u+v)^2(u-v)(u^2+ v^2)\sqrt{2u^2+ 2v^2+ 1}dudv[/tex]
  6. Apr 17, 2007 #5
    hm.....interesting, I'll definitely be doing more problems for practice. Thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?