1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Based Physics Question

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A 3kg box is held up high in the air by a a rope with negligible mass. The rope's tension is depends on the function of time T(t) = (36N/s)*t. The box is at rest at t = 0. Only the forces tension and gravity act on this box.

a) What is the velocity at t = 1.0s?
    b) What is the velocity at t = 3.0s?

2. Relevant equations

I think that my acceleration formula is the problem, but I don't know why.

a(t) = (2.2m/s^3)t - 9.8m/s^2 I took out the mass to get the box's acceleration and then I just broke up the applied acceleration from the constant gravitational acceleration.

v(t) = (1.1m/s^3)t^2 - (9.8m/s^2)t This is my integral of the acceleration.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) a(1s) = 1.1m/s - 9.8m/s = -8.7m/s but the book's answer is -3.8m/s.

I just can't grasp how I am wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2
    How did you get 2.2 m/s^3 from 36 N/s?

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    ƩFy = T - mg = ma; a = 12m/s^2 - 9.8m/s^2 = 2.2m/s^2, so I divided out the mass to get the box's acceleration of 12m/s^2. Then, I ...

Lol, ok, in my attempt to answer your question I see how it can work I can get the right answer. Thanks for asking :)

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4
    You are welcome :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted