Engineering Student Asks: Take Physics I-A Without Calc Pre-Req?

In summary, if you are comfortable with basic calculus concepts, you should be fine taking Physics I-A without the pre-req.
pr0blumz
I an engineering student and I'm looking for a little advice. The instuctor at my school is giving me a chance to take Physics I-A (calculus based), opposed to General Physics (algebra & trig. based), without having the pre-req. for the class. The pre-req. is Cal. I-II and I'm taking those in the Spring. I know some Calculus from studying the past summer but would like to know if me not taking the Cal. I-II will hinder my performance greatly. Do any of you think this is a good idea or I should just wait?

Physics news on Phys.org
pr0blumz said:
I an engineering student and I'm looking for a little advice. The instuctor at my school is giving me a chance to take Physics I-A (calculus based), opposed to General Physics (algebra & trig. based), without having the pre-req. for the class. The pre-req. is Cal. I-II and I'm taking those in the Spring. I know some Calculus from studying the past summer but would like to know if me not taking the Cal. I-II will hinder my performance greatly. Do any of you think this is a good idea or I should just wait?

If you know some calculus and remember how to derive and integrate basic stuff, you should be fine. I took Physics I after taking Calculus II and I don't remember it being too bad. Of course, it's up to you and how strong you are in math and how much outside time you're willing to devote to learning basic calculus concepts.

This really depends on how the instructor teaches physics 1. When I took calculus-based physics as a freshman, I never needed to do a single derivative. Our professor used calculus when introducing new material, but never put anything with calculus on the exam or homework (this wasn't a policy of his, it just worked out that way). On the other hand, when I taught physics 1 my first year of graduate school, the instructor put plenty of physics on the homework and exams, and my students were expected to be adept at it. Personally I think it's a good idea to at least be taking calculus 1 concurrently with physics 1. But if you're confident with the material you've taught yourself, I guess you'll be OK.

Just a sidenote: don't attempt this with physics 2. When you start getting into electricity and magnetism, you'll be doing a lot of integrals, and you probably want to at least have calculus 1 under your belt.

You should be fine. I'm also taking calc-based physics without the pre-req (calc 1) because i convinced the professor i talked to into it. I told him that i taught myself calculus and he said he'd give me a brief quiz and if i got 100% i could take the calc-based. It turned out when he said brief, he meant very brief. The quiz consisted of two questions: 1) integral of x2 and 2) derivative of x2. Needless to say i passed, and you should be fine too :smile:

Having taught both Calc based and Algebra based Physics I, there are two things I would like to say about this:

1. 90% of the students I taught struggled more with the mathematics needed in physics than with the physical concepts.

2. I think that calculus based Physics I, is much easier on the student. For instance, trying to help someone who does not understand Calculus grasp the relationship between position, velocity and acceleration without Calculus can be tedious for both the instructor and the student.

So with those two things being said, it really all depends on how comfortable you are with Calculus.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments.

Also, I found this site with video tutorials on limits and derivatives that could help greatly throughout the course if you aren't too confident in yourself with them now. All of these are short clips which you could watch in an hour (there are 11) and will help your knowledge immensely, and possibly come in handy throughout the course.

http://www.calculus-help.com/funstuff/phobe.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I enrolled in the Physics I-A. The instructor said that there are only a couple of problems in each unit that require the knowledge of derivatives or integrals. I appreciate all of the comments. Thanks

1. Can I take Physics I-A without having taken a calculus course?

While it is possible for some students to take Physics I-A without a calculus pre-requisite, it is not recommended. Calculus provides the necessary mathematical foundation for understanding and solving physics problems. It is highly recommended to take a calculus course before enrolling in Physics I-A.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage if I take Physics I-A without a calculus pre-requisite?

Yes, taking Physics I-A without a calculus pre-requisite may put you at a disadvantage. As mentioned before, calculus is an important tool for solving physics problems and not having a strong foundation in it may make it more difficult to understand the concepts and equations in the course.

3. Are there any other courses that can substitute for a calculus pre-requisite for Physics I-A?

Some universities may offer alternative courses that can serve as a substitute for a calculus pre-requisite for physics, such as pre-calculus or applied calculus. It is best to consult with your academic advisor to see if any of these courses are available and if they are accepted as a pre-requisite for Physics I-A.

4. Can I take a calculus course at the same time as Physics I-A?

In most cases, it is not recommended to take a calculus course at the same time as Physics I-A. These courses build upon each other and it may be difficult to understand the concepts in Physics I-A without a solid foundation in calculus. It is best to take calculus before enrolling in Physics I-A.

5. Is it possible to succeed in Physics I-A without a calculus pre-requisite?

While it is possible to succeed in Physics I-A without a calculus pre-requisite, it may require additional effort and study. It is important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and to seek help from professors or tutors if needed. However, it is highly recommended to take a calculus course before enrolling in Physics I-A to set yourself up for success.