Calculus Book Advice: Spivak, Lang for 1-3

In summary, the conversation is about two particular books on Calculus, with the user seeking to understand if they will provide a complete understanding of Calculus 1, 2, and 3. It is suggested to look at what a student is supposed to learn in those courses and compare it to the table of contents of each book. The user also mentions that Spivak's book has a lot of challenging exercises to test understanding and recommends looking into Apostol's books as well. The question of why many people dislike Stewart's Calculus is also brought up, with the suggestion that it may be aimed towards students not interested in becoming mathematicians. The user then mentions their own experience with Stewart's book, being able to cover a lot
Muon
Hello PF community, I have an important question(to me.. and hopefully other users aswell) about two particular books I have ordered. I have ordered Calculus by Michael Spivak as well as A First Course In Calculus by Serge Lang and I am very curious to know if those two books will give me a complete and thorough understanding of calculus 1, 2 and 3 , Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just look at what a student is supposed to learn in Calc1, 2 & 3 and see the table of contents of each book you purchased.

As far as I know, Spivak's book has got a lot of hard exercices to see if you really have a deep understanding of the material. I think you should also try Apostol's books on Calculus, which are great books (I have them).

I also have Stewarts calculus 3rd edition and I've taught myself up to applications of integration in 1 week but that just emphasizes the fact that Stewart is just maybe a bit too easy for me.. but the book has basically all of calculus based on what people say, so why do so much people hate Stewart's calculus ?

NathanaelNolk said:
As far as I know, Spivak's book has got a lot of hard exercices to see if you really have a deep understanding of the material. I think you should also try Apostol's books on Calculus, which are great books (I have them).

Sorry, I forgot to quote you in my previous reply( I'm new here)

Muon said:
[...] Why do so much people hate Stewart's calculus ?

Since everything in it is really standardized to fit some testing model.

HakimPhilo said:
Since everything in it is really standardized to fit some testing model.

Is that it? so do you mean that it is aimed towards all of the students that are not interested in becoming mathematicians?

Muon said:
Is that it? so do you mean that it is aimed towards all of the students that are not interested in becoming mathematicians?

That's not what I meant.

Muon said:
I also have Stewarts calculus 3rd edition and I've taught myself up to applications of integration in 1 week

How can one go so far in a book in one week? Have you done the exercises? Because, it seems quite unusual. It must be some kind of introductory book then, isn't it ?

NathanaelNolk said:
How can one go so far in a book in one week? Have you done the exercises? Because, it seems quite unusual. It must be some kind of introductory book then, isn't it ?

Well I have to admit I have not done every problem because there is about 100 problems for every section but I do understand the concepts very well, that is all

NathanaelNolk said:

And maybe.. I mean it certainly is no Spivak based on what I've heard

So, do you feel at ease with most of the subjects you have covered in this book ? Are you able to do 85% of the exercices and get the right answer ? I mean, even if you don't do it, when you see the exercice, can you think about how you're going to do it ?
If the answers are no, then you should consider re-reading it, or trying a new book I guess. You should start with Lang's introduction to calculus, and then move on to Apostol's or Spivak's Calculus book. Maybe, if you'd rather attend lectures on the subject, you should try this : http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/ and then move on to the Multivariable one.By the way, that post belongs to Academic Guidance, not Calculus.

NathanaelNolk said:
So, do you feel at ease with most of the subjects you have covered in this book ? Are you able to do 85% of the exercices and get the right answer ? I mean, even if you don't do it, when you see the exercice, can you think about how you're going to do it ?
If the answers are no, then you should consider re-reading it, or trying a new book I guess. You should start with Lang's introduction to calculus, and then move on to Apostol's or Spivak's Calculus book. Maybe, if you'd rather attend lectures on the subject, you should try this : http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/ and then move on to the Multivariable one.

By the way, that post belongs to Academic Guidance, not Calculus.

Thanks Nathan, and yes I can come up with the answer about 60% of the time so I will try rereading all of it and do the exercises

You're welcome. By the way, if you don't feel comfortable with this book, try another one. As I said, Lang's First course in Calculus is quite good. Try Apostol's or Spivak's book when you feel you've got a good grasp of the subject.

1. What is the difference between Spivak and Lang's Calculus books?

The main difference between Spivak and Lang's Calculus books is the level of difficulty. Spivak's book is known for being more rigorous and challenging, while Lang's book is more accessible for beginners. Spivak's book also covers more advanced topics such as real analysis, while Lang's book focuses more on traditional calculus concepts.

2. Which book is better for self-study?

Both Spivak and Lang's books are great for self-study, but it ultimately depends on your learning style and background knowledge. If you have a strong foundation in mathematics and are looking for a challenging and in-depth approach, Spivak's book may be a better choice. However, if you are new to calculus or prefer a more straightforward approach, Lang's book may be a better fit.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using these books?

Both Spivak and Lang's books assume some familiarity with basic algebra and trigonometry. However, Spivak's book may require a stronger understanding of mathematical concepts and proofs. It is recommended to have completed a pre-calculus course before using either of these books.

4. Which book is better for preparing for college-level calculus?

Both Spivak and Lang's books are excellent resources for preparing for college-level calculus. However, since Spivak's book covers more advanced topics, it may better prepare you for higher-level mathematics courses. Lang's book, on the other hand, may be more suitable for those looking for a solid foundation in traditional calculus concepts.

5. Can these books be used as a supplement to a calculus course?

Yes, both Spivak and Lang's books can be used as supplements to a calculus course. Spivak's book may provide additional challenging problems and a deeper understanding of calculus concepts, while Lang's book may offer a more straightforward explanation and examples. However, it is always best to check with your instructor to ensure that the material covered in these books aligns with your course curriculum.