1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Book

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    I want study calculus for understand it better and get better in my class. For what book do I should start? What about these books: Spiavak, James Stewart, Apostol. Wich is better??
    I already know about functions, limits and derivation but soon im going to be with integration so I want to get basics and study again those topics (limits, functions and derivates)

Wich book do you recommend?:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2
    I have used Stewart, early transcendentals and I found it to be pretty good.

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I guess it depends on how deep you want to swim. In order of "shallow" to "deep": Stewart, Spivak, Apostol.

5. Feb 18, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

I've only read the works of Spiavak and Stewart, so I cant speak for Apostol. I do prefer Spiavak though.

6. Feb 18, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the shallow end of the pool. We used the Stewart book. :smile: And I had "How to Ace Calculus" for "water-wings".:approve:

7. Feb 19, 2007 #6
    Apostol is a bit unconventional in that he introduces integration before limits and differentiation, and in a way that most people are not used to. But if that doesn't bother you, along with the Definition-Theorem-Proof format, then Apostol is a pretty good choice to learn calculus.

Haven't seen the other books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?