Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Book

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    I want study calculus for understand it better and get better in my class. For what book do I should start? What about these books: Spiavak, James Stewart, Apostol. Wich is better??
    I already know about functions, limits and derivation but soon im going to be with integration so I want to get basics and study again those topics (limits, functions and derivates)

Wich book do you recommend?:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2
    I have used Stewart, early transcendentals and I found it to be pretty good.

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I guess it depends on how deep you want to swim. In order of "shallow" to "deep": Stewart, Spivak, Apostol.

5. Feb 18, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

I've only read the works of Spiavak and Stewart, so I cant speak for Apostol. I do prefer Spiavak though.

6. Feb 18, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  7. Feb 19, 2007 #6
    Apostol is a bit unconventional in that he introduces integration before limits and differentiation, and in a way that most people are not used to. But if that doesn't bother you, along with the Definition-Theorem-Proof format, then Apostol is a pretty good choice to learn calculus.

Haven't seen the other books.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook