What is the best book for studying calculus as a beginner?

In summary, the conversation discusses different books for studying calculus and asks for recommendations. The books mentioned are Spivak, James Stewart, and Apostol, with Stewart being a popular choice. The person asking for recommendations prefers the "shallow" end of the pool and has used Stewart's book before. The person recommending Apostol mentions its unconventional approach but still recommends it as a good choice for learning calculus.
alba_ei
I want study calculus for understand it better and get better in my class. For what book do I should start? What about these books: Spiavak, James Stewart, Apostol. Wich is better??
I already know about functions, limits and derivation but soon I am going to be with integration so I want to get basics and study again those topics (limits, functions and derivates)

Wich book do you recommend?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have used Stewart, early transcendentals and I found it to be pretty good.

I guess it depends on how deep you want to swim. In order of "shallow" to "deep": Stewart, Spivak, Apostol.

I've only read the works of Spiavak and Stewart, so I can't speak for Apostol. I do prefer Spiavak though.

Cyclovenom said:
I guess it depends on how deep you want to swim. In order of "shallow" to "deep": Stewart, Spivak, Apostol.

I like the shallow end of the pool. We used the Stewart book. :smile: And I had "https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716731606/?tag=pfamazon01-20" for "water-wings".:approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apostol is a bit unconventional in that he introduces integration before limits and differentiation, and in a way that most people are not used to. But if that doesn't bother you, along with the Definition-Theorem-Proof format, then Apostol is a pretty good choice to learn calculus.

Haven't seen the other books.

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus, which deals with the instantaneous rate of change, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it is used to model and solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It also provides a foundation for higher-level mathematics and is essential for understanding advanced concepts in science and technology.

3. What are the basic concepts of calculus?

The basic concepts of calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives measure the rate of change of a function at a specific point. Integrals, on the other hand, represent the accumulation of quantities over a certain interval.

4. Is calculus difficult to learn?

Like any subject, the difficulty of learning calculus varies from person to person. However, with patience and practice, anyone can understand the basic concepts of calculus. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before learning calculus.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice solving problems regularly. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to clarify any concepts you are struggling with. Additionally, using online resources such as videos and interactive tutorials can also be helpful in supplementing your learning.