1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus by Thomas and Finney

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    I have calculus book by Finny.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Calculus

finney?

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, good for you!

MathWonk, he is referring to "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by Thomas and Finney which is really the classic text by George B. Thomas as revised by Ross L. Finney.
    When I took Calculus I, Thomas was my instructor. I remember that I had to pay $24 for the text- and it hurt!

Though I can't help but wonder why hairlosstreat wants to tell us he has that book.

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Good ole Thomas and Finney, that's the text we used when I was a freshman back in the 80's. I still have it ... somewhere.

6. Sep 9, 2011 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well after googling them both, it seems finney died in 2000 and thomas died in 2006, which explains to me the significant decline in quality of the "thomas calculus" books over the last 15 years. i still prefer the one I had in 1970, written just by thomas. it must have been a privilege to be taught by him Halls, but you apparently paid dearly for it!

That was apparently much later than my freshman year, when i bought courant for my college calculus course, taught by john tate, for $6.50. tate is apparently still alive and only recently retired from ut austin after a teaching career spanning over 50 years at harvard and ut.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #6

gb7nash

Homework Helper

I've got Abstract Algebra by Dummit and Foote. It's pretty bad.

8. Sep 9, 2011 #7
  9. Sep 10, 2011 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am still wondering why this thread was opened. I rather suspect that "hairlosstreat" was trying to sell the book. Oh, well, that still is better than being offered a treatment for hair loss!

10. Sep 10, 2011 #9

eumyang

Homework Helper

There are at least two editions of Calculus by "Finney - Thomas," (authors' names are reversed) which I don't think counts among the 12 editions of Thomas' Calculus. https://www.amazon.com/Calculus-2nd-Ross-L-Finney/dp/0201549778" is Amazon's link to the 2nd edition, from 1994.

There is also an edition by Finney-Demana-Waits-Kennedy, which I believe is based on the Finney-Thomas text above. There's a regular version (some titled Calculus: A Complete Course), and there's a single-variable version (Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic), which is what a number of high schools use for their AP Calculus courses.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Aug 10, 2013 #10
    my engineering college prefers this Finney book. I don't think it is rigorous like Apostol. My instructor says that we have to do epsilon-delta proofs from this book. Even Apostol has some problems pertaining to it. I think I can use Apostol itself. Please suggest me which book to use..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted