Calculus Calculator: Wolframalpha.com & Tips

In summary, Wolframalpha.com is a reliable and useful tool for finding derivatives, antiderivatives, and limits. However, it has been known to generate solutions in a strange manner and may not always be completely accurate. It is best used as a supplementary tool for verifying knowledge and understanding. Some errors have been reported in simple antiderivatives, but they may have been fixed by now. There have also been instances where Wolframalpha has made correct but unnecessary simplifications, causing confusion for users. It is important to understand the input and assumptions made by the calculator when using it for more complex problems.
kashiark
Wolframalpha.com is a really good one. It looks like a search engine, and to find the derivative, type in d/dx(function.) To do antiderivatives, you need the symbol ∫. For limits use lim(function) as x->whatever.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I found some errors in it doing simple antiderivates.

For antiderivatives you can just type "antidifferentiate f(x) dx" or "integrate f(x) dx"

Wolfram is generally reliable, Although it often generates solutions that have been simplified in a very strange manner. I find it to be a useful for double checking my work. For indefinite integrals, possible solution pathways are also provided. If you get a question wrong, these usually help pinpoint the problem, Although I'd never completely rely on it. I have always considered it a supplementary tool I can use to verify my knowledge and confidence, nothing else.

thrill3rnit3 said:

I have sometimes thought it was making an error, but it has always turned out to be either my error or my misunderstanding of the result returned. Do you have specific examples where it made an error?

phyzguy said:
I have sometimes thought it was making an error, but it has always turned out to be either my error or my misunderstanding of the result returned. Do you have specific examples where it made an error?

I have had the same problem (not errors, but "thinking" the wolfram computation was wrong). I have noticed that with lots of trigonometric and some more advanced integrals, wolfram has a tendency to perform odd simplifications that usually throw me off, but that are in fact correct (just not necessary so simple).

thrill3rnit3 said:
I haven't had this problem, do you have any examples of when it makes these supposed errors?

Leptos said:
I haven't had this problem, do you have any examples of when it makes these supposed errors?

I posted my comment over a year ago, so they have probably fixed the error(s) by now.

either way I don't remember exactly the problem(s), but yeah I did find some error(s).

I've just checked this calculator for the partial differentiation of ((x1-m1)^2/s^2) w.r.t 'm' i.e. d/dm(((x1-m1)^2/s^2))

and the result was

(-2 (-m1 + x1)^2 s'[m])/s^3 + (2 (-m1 + x1) (-m1'[m] + x1'[m]))/s^2;

I'm still confused how do we differentiate a function containing 'm1' w.r.t 'm'; m is a 2D variable which consists of (m1,m2).
Can please somebody explain this to me. I'll be really very grateful.

Wolfram alpha doesn't know that m is a 2d variable consisting of (m1,m2). SInce you differentiated an expression by m, and the expression doesn't contain m (only x1, s, and m1), it assumes that all three of x1, m1, and s are functions of m, and gives you the derivative using that assumption.

Thank you very much for your reply. Can u tell me how to solve my equation in general or through the calculator?

It depends what you are trying to do. You might want to read up on vector calculus - I suggest starting with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus
Do you want the gradient of the scalar function f=((x1-m1)^2/s^2) ? In this case, since f is independent of m2, it would just be df/dm1*e1, where e1 is the unit vector in the m1 direction. What problem are you trying to solve exactly?

What is a calculus calculator?

A calculus calculator is a tool or software that can perform calculus operations and solve problems related to calculus, such as derivatives, integrals, limits, and differential equations.

How does Wolframalpha.com work as a calculus calculator?

Wolframalpha.com is a computational knowledge engine that uses advanced algorithms to solve complex mathematical problems, including those related to calculus. It can handle a wide range of calculus operations and provide step-by-step solutions.

What are the benefits of using a calculus calculator like Wolframalpha.com?

Using a calculus calculator like Wolframalpha.com can save time and effort in solving complex calculus problems. It also provides accurate solutions and can handle a variety of mathematical functions and operations.

Are there any tips for using a calculus calculator effectively?

Yes, here are some tips for using a calculus calculator effectively:

• Be familiar with the syntax and commands of the calculator.
  • Double-check your input to ensure accuracy.
  • Break down complex problems into smaller steps.
  • Use the calculator's graphing feature to visualize the problem.
  • Refer to the calculator's user guide or online tutorials for assistance.

Can a calculus calculator fully replace the need for manual calculations?

No, a calculus calculator can assist in solving complex problems and save time, but it cannot replace the need for understanding the concepts and principles of calculus. It is important to have a strong foundation in calculus to effectively use a calculator and interpret its results.