How can Calculus classes be a student's dream?

In summary, the conversation is about Calculus and how it is a difficult but interesting subject. The speaker recently purchased a Calculus book and is refreshing their knowledge during spring break. They mention that cheat sheets are allowed and are useful in Calculus classes. Another speaker explains that cheat sheets are in reference to tables of integrals and are helpful for certain types of problems. The conversation then moves on to discussing open-book and open-note exams in upper-level math classes, and how the speaker once spent hours on a difficult problem during an exam. Finally, the conversation ends with the speaker having to stop due to physical discomfort.
Ben-CS
First of all, I recently purchased a Calculus book for a real bargain: $ 0.75 + tax! I spent spring break giving myself a refresher course. Whee!

On to business: I think Calculus classes deserve special mention. They are among the very rare classes where cheat sheets are not only permitted, but required. Gotta love those integration tables! They're sometimes 30+ pages long, but...oh, well.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
really? i don't recall anything like that when i took calc. no cheatsheets, no calculators.

Cheet sheets? I'm not sure what they are. Can anyone tell me?

Cheat sheets are in reference to the table of integrals.

Not necessarily a "cheat sheet" but rather a useful reference to classes of integrals (like Wallis formulas and things like that).

I remember haveing to use that when I took Calculus II last year. It saved me a lot of time (but I didn't rely on it so much).

Welcome to the wonderful world of mathematics! In my upper-level math classes in college, like ~90% of the exams were open-book and open-note, and many were also infinite-time!

Welcome to the wonderful world of mathematics! In my upper-level math classes in college, like ~90% of the exams were open-book and open-note, and many were also infinite-time!

Wow, we didn't have open book or open note test (and the way how our books were written, it was better to go without it).

Speaking of infinite time, that reminded me of Calculus II exams. I remember doing one chapter on Integral techniques and there was one particular problem that remained elusive to me. I probably spent a good 2 or 3 hours on that particular problem and the great thing is that the professor allowed me all the time I needed.

Of course, hunger pains and thirst began to set in, my eyes were strained and my hand aching, so I had to call it a day.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It involves the analysis of functions, rates of change, and accumulation of quantities.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of many physical systems. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics.

3. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are Differential Calculus and Integral Calculus. Differential Calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while Integral Calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and the calculation of areas under curves.

4. What are some real-life applications of Calculus?

Calculus has numerous real-life applications, such as predicting the motion of objects, determining optimal solutions for problems, analyzing economic trends, and understanding the behavior of physical systems.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Calculus class?

Some tips for succeeding in Calculus class include practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, understanding the underlying concepts, and applying the principles to real-life scenarios. It is also important to stay organized and manage time effectively.