1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus: Concepts & Contexts

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1
    Is this book by Stewert good as a first calculus book?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2005 #2
    I had that book for AP Calc (AB) and it seemed ok. I bet there is a better book though.

4. Aug 14, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

stewart second edition is nice. what do you want from a book? there are many better books in the sense of deeper explanations, more proofs, more applications to physics, more explanation of how the ideas arise in the world.

i like comenetz' book elements of calculus, and spivak, and apostol, and courant, and cooke- finney- thomas 9th edition, edwards - penney first edition, kitchen, elliot gootman, sylvanus p. thompson for jokes, cruse and granberg, lang analysis I, langs calculus I.

different boks have different goals and different points of view, and are written by people with different skills and levels of understanding and research orientation or lack of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?