• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

[calculus] Continuity of partial derivatives

• Thread starter Ahmes
  • Start date
Hello,
If I am given a function of several variables and a parameter. Such as:
[tex]f(x,y,z)=\frac{x y z^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^k}[/tex]
This function is defined to be 0 where it is incontinuous (in [tex](0,0,0)[/tex]).

How can I conclude for which values of k the function has three continuous partial derivatives?
I know how to conclude differentiability of the function, but differentiability means partial derivatives exist, not necessarily continuous.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

TD
Homework Helper
Ahmes said:
I know how to conclude differentiability of the function, but differentiability means partial derivatives exist, not necessarily continuous.
Differentiability implies continuity, but not the other way arround.
Differentiability is a stronger condition than continuity and existing partial derivatives is a necessary though not sufficient condition for differentiability.
For differentiability, you need continuity and existing + continuous partial derivatives.

TD said:
For differentiability, you need continuity and existing + continuous partial derivatives.
Yes, but as I said I already now how to find differentiability, or for which values of k the function is differentiable.

It is differentiable for [tex]-\infty<k<\frac{3}{2}[/tex]. Now I want to know for which values of k the partial derivatives are continuous (not the function itself).

TD
Homework Helper
First, find the partial derivatives. The, apply the definition of continuity to the three functions (each partial derivative).