[calculus] Continuity of partial derivatives

In summary: If the partial derivatives are continuous, then the function is differentiable. If not, then the function is not differentiable.In summary, The conversation discusses finding the values of k for which a given function has three continuous partial derivatives. It is mentioned that differentiability implies continuity, but not the other way around. The necessary condition for differentiability is existing and continuous partial derivatives. The function is differentiable for -\infty<k<\frac{3}{2} and to find for which values of k the partial derivatives are continuous, one must find the partial derivatives and apply the definition of continuity to each of the three functions.
Ahmes
Hello,
If I am given a function of several variables and a parameter. Such as:
[tex]f(x,y,z)=\frac{x y z^2}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^k}[/tex]
This function is defined to be 0 where it is incontinuous (in [tex](0,0,0)[/tex]).

How can I conclude for which values of k the function has three continuous partial derivatives?
I know how to conclude differentiability of the function, but differentiability means partial derivatives exist, not necessarily continuous.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmes said:
I know how to conclude differentiability of the function, but differentiability means partial derivatives exist, not necessarily continuous.

Differentiability implies continuity, but not the other way arround.
Differentiability is a stronger condition than continuity and existing partial derivatives is a necessary though not sufficient condition for differentiability.
For differentiability, you need continuity and existing + continuous partial derivatives.

TD said:
For differentiability, you need continuity and existing + continuous partial derivatives.
Yes, but as I said I already now how to find differentiability, or for which values of k the function is differentiable.

It is differentiable for [tex]-\infty<k<\frac{3}{2}[/tex]. Now I want to know for which values of k the partial derivatives are continuous (not the function itself).

First, find the partial derivatives. The, apply the definition of continuity to the three functions (each partial derivative).

What is the definition of continuity of partial derivatives?

Continuity of partial derivatives refers to the property of a multivariable function where the rate of change (partial derivative) of the function with respect to each variable remains consistent at a given point, regardless of the direction of approach. In other words, the function is continuous if the partial derivatives exist and are equal at that point.

How is continuity of partial derivatives different from continuity of a single variable function?

In a single variable function, continuity is determined by the behavior of the function at a single point. However, for multivariable functions, continuity is determined by the behavior of the function at a point and in all directions from that point. Therefore, continuity of partial derivatives is a stronger condition than continuity of a single variable function.

What is the importance of continuity of partial derivatives in calculus?

Continuity of partial derivatives is important as it allows us to apply the tools of calculus, such as differentiation and integration, to multivariable functions. It also helps us analyze the behavior of a function at a given point and understand how small changes in one variable affect the output of the function.

Are there any cases where a function can have continuous partial derivatives but is not a continuous function?

Yes, this is possible. A function can have continuous partial derivatives at a point, but if the function is not defined or is discontinuous at that point, then the function as a whole is not continuous. This can happen, for example, if the function has a sharp point or a corner at that point.

What are the different types of discontinuities in a multivariable function?

There are three types of discontinuities in a multivariable function: jump, removable, and essential. A jump discontinuity occurs when the function has a sudden change in value at a particular point. A removable discontinuity occurs when the function is undefined at a particular point but can be "filled in" to make the function continuous. An essential discontinuity occurs when the function has an infinite or undefined limit at a particular point.