1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus : Continuity

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f(x) be a "continuous" function in interval [a,b] such that f(a)=b and f(b)=a, then prove that there exists at least one value "c" in interval (a,b) such that f(c)=c.

Note: [a,b] denotes closed interval from a to b that is a and b inclusive. (a,b) denotes open interval from a to b that is excluding a and b.

2. Relevant equations

Concept of continuity.

3. The attempt at a solution

As function f(x) is continuous in [a,b] so graph of f(x) between x=a and x=b will be without any "break" and it covers value f(x) from a to b as well. Now as c lies between a and b i.e. a<c<b and f(b)=a and f(a)=b so there should be at least one solution of the equation f(x)=c. But how can we say that solution of equation f(x)=c is x=c ? How can I prove it ?

Please help !

Thanks in advanced... :)

BTW, coming back after a long time!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    Consider the function ##g(x)=f(x)-x## on the interval ##[a,b]##.

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    Why this function ? Question does not say it. Ummmm......

(Thanks for quick reply)

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4
    It's just a suggestion/hint. Note that ##f(c)=c## iff ##g(c)=0##.

6. Oct 19, 2014 #5
    Please help me if i misunderstood. Question is asking us about f(x). What has g(x) to do with it and how will it answer the OP. And why we took g(x)=f(x)-x ? I do notice what you're saying though.

7. Oct 19, 2014 #6
    If I were to say much more, it would become less of a hint and more of me telling you how to do the problem.

Also, the suggestion was that you consider the function ##g##. I made you aware of it and implied that it was maybe pertinent to answering the problem. Now your job is to sit down and think about it for a bit. Maybe write down all of the facts that you can deduce about ##g## given what you know about ##f## and the relationship between ##a## and ##b##.

8. Oct 19, 2014 #7
    I do know that between x=a to x=b the graph y=x intersect the curve f(x) at at least one point. At that coordinate is (x,x). But what i am not getting is that how is x=c necessarily at least at one point ?

I have roughly sketched the figure.

9. Oct 19, 2014 #8
    Are you allowed to call on the intermediate value theorem?

10. Oct 19, 2014 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You say "
    You say "I do know that between x=a to x=b the graph y=x intersect the curve f(x) at at least one point." How do you know that? That is exactly what you are trying to prove!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted