Finding Minimum y-coordinate on a Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum y-coordinate of a point on a curve with the equation y^3 + 3x^(2)y + 13 = 0. The solution involves finding the critical points by setting the gradient function equal to zero, and then using the second derivative to determine if the point is a maximum or minimum. The conversation also addresses confusion about the given points (0,0) and (2,-1) not being on the curve.
demersal
[SOLVED] Calculus - Derivative Help??

Homework Statement

Consider the curve given by the equation y^3 + 3x^(2)y + 13 = 0. Find the minimum y - coordinate of any point on the curve. Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

I solved parts a&b:
dy/dx = -6xy / (3y^2 + 3x^2)
Equation for line tangent to curve at (2,-1): y + 1 = 4/5 (x-2)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the other problem I cannot get. I tried to make up my own minimum to find a relative minimum, which my instructor said we could find, but I still couldn't get critical points. I also tried using the second derivative ... but that got too messy and I didn't know what to do.

Any help would be fantastic! Thank you for your time and explanations!

Physics news on Phys.org
at the minimum point...the gradient of the tangent at that point is zero...i.e. gradient function=0 => dy/dx=0

sorry, we haven't learned gradient functions yet. can you explain this concept to me? or is there another way to do it?

Well the gradient at any point (x,y) on a curve is given by dy/dx...this is called the gradient function. So to find the gradient at any point you just sub the x value and y value(if there is y in your expression fot dy/dx) and you'll get the gradient of the tangent at that point.

At a min point, the tangent drawn to that point is a horizontal line i.e. the line has a gradient at zero. So to find this point you equate dy/dx to zero and solve...

dy/dx = -6xy / (3y^2 + 3x^2)=0

for this to be equal to zero, the numerator must be zero...so solve for x and y in here and you will get a stationary point...find the 2nd derivative and sub the min point you get and check the sign, If [itex]\frac{d^2y}{d^2x}[/itex] is positive,then it is a minimum point, if it is negative, it is a maximum point.
Is this clear? If not I shall try to explain better

ok, one more question. so i got (0,0) from the first deriv, now i plug that into the second to find if it is a max or min? i believe it must be a max anyway since it is higher than the point (2,-1) which the problem gives.

demersal said:
ok, one more question. so i got (0,0) from the first deriv, now i plug that into the second to find if it is a max or min? i believe it must be a max anyway since it is higher than the point (2,-1) which the problem gives.
Neither (0,0) nor (2, -1) is even on the curve y^3 + 3x^(2)y + 13 = 0!

In order that the derivative be 0, either x= 0 or y= 0. If x= 0, what is y? If y= 0, what is x?

ahhhh, i understand now. i was being dense! but the sad thing is i already handed my problem in. oh, well, at least i will get it right next time!

thank you all for the wonderful attention and help!

What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of a function at a given point.

What is the purpose of finding a derivative?

The main purpose of finding a derivative is to understand how a function changes over time or distance. It can also be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, and to solve optimization problems.

How do you find a derivative?

To find a derivative, you can use the rules of differentiation, which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of any polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, or trigonometric function.

What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

A derivative measures the rate of change of a function, while an antiderivative is the opposite process, finding the original function from its derivative. In other words, a derivative is a function, while an antiderivative is an inverse process.

Why is the concept of a derivative important in science?

The concept of a derivative is important in science because it allows us to model and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as the movement of objects, changes in temperature, and growth of populations. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.