1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Derivative Question

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1

Anyone out there able to help me out? I'm trying to find y'' of the equation y=xtanx. I found y' to equal 1(sec²x) but I don't know what to do after that. I know the final answer should be 2cosx + 2xsinx/ cos³x after being simplified and stuff, but I am clueless as to how to get there. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,it can't be.Are u sure u want to compute

[tex] \frac{d^{2}(x\tan x)}{dx^{2}} [/tex]...?

Then better apply the Leibniz rule with care.

4. Mar 28, 2005 #3
    You mean 2cosx + 2xsinx/ cos³x isn't the right answer or the y' I came up with to help me get the y'' isn't right?
  5. Mar 28, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you how to get to this result

[tex] \frac{d(x\tan x)}{dx}=\tan x +x\sec^{2}x [/tex]...?

If u do,i don't see any reason not to compute the 2-nd derivative correctly.

6. Mar 28, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh,your final aswer for the 2-nd derivative is in terms of "sin" & "cos",u'd better conver the 1-st derivative to a form containing "sin" a "cos" b4 the differentiation.

7. Mar 28, 2005 #6
    Your first derivative is wrong. You need to use the product rule. Do you remember it?
  8. Mar 28, 2005 #7
    Data is right use the product rule to find first derivative and in finding the second derivative also.

[tex] \frac{d(x\tan x)}{dx}=\tan x +x\sec^{2}x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d^2(x\tan x)}{dx^2}= \frac{(2)(\cos{x} +x\sin{x})}{\cos^3{x}} [/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  9. Mar 28, 2005 #8
    indeed. Or for the second derivative you can just take it without converting to sines and cosines and get [itex]2\sec^2{x} + 2x\sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/itex], an equivalent answer.
  10. Mar 29, 2005 #9
    Where did you get the 2's from? Why isn't it just [itex]sec^2{x} + sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/itex]
  11. Mar 29, 2005 #10
    [tex] \frac{d}{dx} (\tan{x} + x\sec^2{x}) = \sec^2{x} + \frac{d}{dx} x\sec^2{x}[/tex]

[tex] = \sec^2{x} + \left(\sec^2{x}\frac{d}{dx} x + x \frac{d}{dx}\sec^2{x}\right)[/tex] <------- Product Rule

[tex] = \sec^2{x} + \left(\sec^2{x} + x\left(2(\sec{x}\tan{x})\sec{x}\right)\right)[/tex] <----- Chain Rule

[tex] = \sec^2{x} + \sec^2{x} + 2x\sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/tex]

[tex] = 2\sec^2{x} + 2x\sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/tex]

Remember, when you're taking the derivative of a product, you need to use the product rule:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} f(x)g(x) = f^\prime(x)g(x) + g^\prime(x)f(x) \neq f^\prime(x)g^\prime(x)[/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?