How can I find the second derivative of y=xtanx?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the second derivative of the equation y=xtanx. The correct first derivative is found using the product rule, and then the second derivative is found using the chain rule and product rule. The final answer is 2sec^2x + 2xsec^2x tanx.
ms. confused
Hey,

Anyone out there able to help me out? I'm trying to find y'' of the equation y=xtanx. I found y' to equal 1(sec²x) but I don't know what to do after that. I know the final answer should be 2cosx + 2xsinx/ cos³x after being simplified and stuff, but I am clueless as to how to get there. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope,it can't be.Are u sure u want to compute

[tex] \frac{d^{2}(x\tan x)}{dx^{2}} [/tex]...?

Then better apply the Leibniz rule with care.

Daniel.

You mean 2cosx + 2xsinx/ cos³x isn't the right answer or the y' I came up with to help me get the y'' isn't right?

Do you how to get to this result

[tex] \frac{d(x\tan x)}{dx}=\tan x +x\sec^{2}x [/tex]...?

If u do,i don't see any reason not to compute the 2-nd derivative correctly.

Daniel.

Oh,your final aswer for the 2-nd derivative is in terms of "sin" & "cos",u'd better conver the 1-st derivative to a form containing "sin" a "cos" b4 the differentiation.

Daniel.

Your first derivative is wrong. You need to use the product rule. Do you remember it?

Data is right use the product rule to find first derivative and in finding the second derivative also.

[tex] \frac{d(x\tan x)}{dx}=\tan x +x\sec^{2}x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d^2(x\tan x)}{dx^2}= \frac{(2)(\cos{x} +x\sin{x})}{\cos^3{x}} [/tex]

Last edited:
indeed. Or for the second derivative you can just take it without converting to sines and cosines and get [itex]2\sec^2{x} + 2x\sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/itex], an equivalent answer.

Data said:
indeed. Or for the second derivative you can just take it without converting to sines and cosines and get [itex]2\sec^2{x} + 2x\sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/itex], an equivalent answer.

Where did you get the 2's from? Why isn't it just [itex]sec^2{x} + sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/itex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} (\tan{x} + x\sec^2{x}) = \sec^2{x} + \frac{d}{dx} x\sec^2{x}[/tex]

[tex] = \sec^2{x} + \left(\sec^2{x}\frac{d}{dx} x + x \frac{d}{dx}\sec^2{x}\right)[/tex] <------- Product Rule

[tex] = \sec^2{x} + \left(\sec^2{x} + x\left(2(\sec{x}\tan{x})\sec{x}\right)\right)[/tex] <----- Chain Rule

[tex] = \sec^2{x} + \sec^2{x} + 2x\sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/tex]

[tex] = 2\sec^2{x} + 2x\sec^2{x}\tan{x}[/tex]

Remember, when you're taking the derivative of a product, you need to use the product rule:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} f(x)g(x) = f^\prime(x)g(x) + g^\prime(x)f(x) \neq f^\prime(x)g^\prime(x)[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative in calculus is a measure of the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the function at that point, and can be interpreted as the instantaneous rate of change.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found by using the rules of differentiation, which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

3. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while an integral measures the accumulation of a function over a given interval. In other words, a derivative tells you how fast a function is changing, while an integral tells you how much of the function has been accumulated.

4. Why are derivatives important in calculus?

Derivatives are important in calculus because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions and their rates of change. They are used to solve optimization problems, find maximum and minimum values of functions, and model real-world phenomena.

5. How is the derivative used in real life?

The derivative is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to model and analyze real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of a moving object, the rate of change of stock prices, or the growth rate of a population.