Finding the Derivative of a Quadratic Function

In summary, the value of the derivative of f(x)=-2(x-3)^2 at the point (2,-2) is 4, which is also the slope of the tangent line at that point. The power rule or the limit definition of the derivative can be used to find this value.
Chris_w
find the value of the derivative of f(x)=-2(x-3)^2 at the point (2,-2)

I am a little confused as to why they give you a point... how can I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, they just gave you an extra, useless bit of information. (Though that extra bit of information will be essential in problems in later sections)

They just want f'(2) and are telling you that f(2) = -2.

ahh, tricky tricky :) Thanks hurkyl

f(x)=-2(x-3)^2
f'(x) = -4(x-3)

f'(2) = -4(2-3)
f'(2) = 4

4 is the derivative of f(x) at point x=2 which is also THE SLOPE
and if you have a point (2,-2) and a SLOPE gives you an equation, which is the equation of the tangent line at that point. Tangent is same thing as Derivative except that in the derivative they are too lazy to write an equation for that line, they only put the slope :wink:

I hope that helps, don't hate me too much if I'm confusing you :wink:

or you can use teh "good" old lim h~~>0 f(x+deltax)-f(x)/ delta x...in your case f(x)=-2(x-3)^3 ...or you can use the power rule for all functions cx^2=2cx

[;)]

That just takes too long

hawaiidude posted or you can use teh "good" old lim h~~>0 f(x+deltax)-f(x)/ delta x...in your case f(x)=-2(x-3)^3 ...or you can use the power rule for all functions cx^2=2cx

Please don't write nonsense: cx^2 is NOT equal to 2 cx. Yes, I know what you MEANT but that was what you wrote. Also the power rule does not apply to "all functions".

ok mr smart ass

1. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the rate of change or the slope of a curve at any given point. It is calculated by finding the limit of the ratio of the change in the dependent variable over the change in the independent variable as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

2. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function is calculated by using the rules of differentiation, which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of a function by breaking it down into simpler functions and applying the corresponding rule to each part.

3. What is the relationship between a function and its derivative?

The derivative of a function represents the rate of change of the function at any given point. This means that it gives us information about how the function is changing at that specific point. Additionally, the derivative can also be used to find the slope of a tangent line to the function at that point.

4. Why is the derivative important in calculus?

The derivative is important in calculus because it allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and their rates of change. It is used in various real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to model and predict the behavior of systems. It is also a key tool in optimization problems, where we aim to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. What are the different types of derivatives in calculus?

There are three main types of derivatives in calculus: the first derivative, the second derivative, and the higher-order derivatives. The first derivative gives us information about the slope of a function, the second derivative tells us about the curvature of the function, and the higher-order derivatives provide more detailed information about the rate of change of the function.