Calculus DVD's would you recommend these?

• Thread starter r3dxP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, a conversation took place about a calculus tutorial advertised in Discover magazine. The individual was considering purchasing the DVD's but wanted opinions on whether they would be helpful. The expert summarizer recommended against purchasing the DVD's, stating that calculus cannot be taught through watching and instead suggested using a cheaper textbook and ensuring a strong understanding of trigonometric functions, geometry, and algebra before attempting calculus.
r3dxP
Hi. I have recently seen calculus tutorial for change+motion on Discover magazine.
Link is below to order..
http://www.teach12.com/ttc/lp_Discover_2.asp?ai=18086

I was thinking about investing money on the DVD's.. but i do not know if they will help me, any opinions? would you prefer buying these or study calculus on your own?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i don't recommend them. nobody can teach you calculus. you cannot learn it by watching, no matter how many times you watch. you just have to do the problems. i think that getting the n-1 edition of a textbook (so that it's super cheap) is the way to go, if you just want to learn it on your own.

make sure first that you have a really good understanding of trigonometric functions, geometry, and algebra. if you are lacking in those, you are going to run into stupid problems trying to work the caclulus.

It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Some people may find the calculus DVD's to be a helpful supplement to their studies, while others may prefer to study on their own using textbooks or online resources. It's important to consider your own learning style and evaluate whether the DVD's would be a good fit for you. You may also want to read reviews or ask for recommendations from others who have used the DVD's before making a decision. Ultimately, the most important factor is finding a study method that works best for you and helps you understand and master the concepts of calculus.

1. What is the purpose of Calculus DVD's?

Calculus DVD's are instructional videos that teach the concepts and applications of calculus. They are designed to supplement textbooks and lectures and provide visual and interactive demonstrations of calculus topics.

2. Are Calculus DVD's useful for beginners?

Yes, Calculus DVD's are designed for students at all levels, including beginners. They often start with the basics and gradually progress to more advanced topics, making them a useful resource for students of all levels.

3. Can Calculus DVD's replace traditional classroom instruction?

No, Calculus DVD's should not be used as a replacement for traditional classroom instruction. They are meant to supplement and enhance learning, but they cannot replace the interaction and feedback provided by a teacher in a classroom setting.

4. Are there any specific Calculus DVD's that you recommend?

There are many different Calculus DVD's available, and the best one for you will depend on your learning style and the specific topics you need help with. It is recommended to do some research and read reviews to find the most effective DVD for your needs.

5. How can I use Calculus DVD's effectively?

To get the most out of Calculus DVD's, it is important to watch them actively and take notes. Pause the video to work through examples and practice problems, and make sure to review and reinforce the concepts covered in the DVD through additional practice and studying.