What are some ways to deepen understanding and challenge yourself in Calculus?

• Thread starter physior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the first lecture on differentiation was easy, but the more challenging material will start to appear in later lectures. You should expect to learn a lot of interesting ways to use the derivative, and to be able to prove things. If you're having trouble with a concept, try looking for a proof online or trying to prove it yourself. You can also ask your professor for help with a term project.
physior
hello
I just did the first lecture on differentiation
what the derivative is, and how is it calculated
I didn't find it to be difficult at all
it's just some forms of algebraic calculations
when will the challenging stuff kick in?
what should I expect in the future?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physior said:
hello
I just did the first lecture on differentiation
what the derivative is, and how is it calculated
I didn't find it to be difficult at all
it's just some forms of algebraic calculations
when will the challenging stuff kick in?
what should I expect in the future?
thanks!

Differentiation is easy. Integration is hard!

How to calculate derivatives is easy, if sometimes a bit messy. You'll learn lots of interesting ways to use the derivative, though:

Where does a function reach its extrema (as high/low as a function ever gets, on the real line or in an interval)?
How can you graph a function knowing that you're plotting all the parts of interest? plotting points isn't sufficient if you're missing any interesting part of the graph
How can you find the derivative if you're not given y=f(x)? For example, given y=f(t), x = g(t), or f(x,y)=z
Given different points x1,x2 on a function, you can analyze what's in between them on the interval (x1..x2)
If you're given a question about a function, it's often only necessary to show the question has an answer, rather than know what the answer is. Calculus can be very useful for that. (Does f have an inverse? Does f(x)=0 have a solution?)

Here's what I did if a section of the course was too easy:
Try proving things that are told to you. Or look up the proofs online (I use wikipedia, Paul's math notes, and ProofWiki). Can you think of any other proofs? Usually there are several ways to prove something.
You might be given a definition that's informal. What's the formal definition of things like "limit", "continuous", "series (infinite sums)"?
Learn the notation for concepts that make it a lot easier to state things without words, to make note-taking easier and to allow you to understand stuff you read online.
Generalize concepts. You might be given a theorem about z=f(x,y). What about y=f(x1,x2,...,xn)? You might be dealing with real numbers. What happens if you put in complex numbers? If you're dealing with a continuous function, what can you say about a piecewise continuous function?
Ask your professor for a term project. You might get extra credit or even a scholarship.
Play around with definitions different from what your book gives. Often a concept has more than one definition, and you can find other ones online. (Make sure you don't lose points on a test for using a definition not in the book)

Last edited:

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion, as well as the properties of functions and their graphs.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus plays a crucial role in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a framework for understanding and solving complex problems involving rates of change and optimization.

3. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the rates of change of functions, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over a specific interval.

4. What are some real-world applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of planets, designing bridges and buildings, optimizing production processes, and analyzing financial data.

5. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

While Calculus may seem daunting at first, with proper instruction and practice, anyone can learn it. It requires a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills.