1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Calculus for Dummies (Book)

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    An extremely well-written book for students taking Calculus for the first time as well as those who need a refresher. This book makes you realize that Calculus isn't that tough after all.

Is that True?

If this book is good,i will buy it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2
    Not really extremely basic. I prefer n older version of Thomas Calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed for a first look at calculus. The explanations are easy to follow and the author justifies every step. Some people frown on Stewart(ssome of the criticism is well founded), however using thomas as a primary text, while using stewart as a source of problems and differnt explanations. Thomas builds intuition without sacrificing rigor. Stewart has many diagrams. I quite like stewarts explanation on series (not rigorous, however gave me inutition).

Many people will post Spivak/Apostol calculus, however these books are really introduction to analysis type m of books and are extremely difficult for a first exposure to higher mathematics. Although these are must have books. After working through thomas (equivalent of calculus 3), a look at Spivak is a must for a student contemplating a career in mathematics.

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3
    And the OP, we have already answered your question in another thread. Multiple posters have recommended bpoks.

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4
    After I finish reading quick calculus I will readthomas calculus and analytical geometry , do you think thomas calculus and analytical geometry covers calculus 2 or 3? Does the book cover a lot of convential geometry? What are its pros and what are its cons ? I appreciate any repllies friend;

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5
    thomas calculus and spivak .
    two greats books

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6
    It covers all of calculus. The proofs are easy to follow (step by step approach n for the most part), the writing is clear, very easy to look up information, has challenging problems. Cons. Some of the proofs are a little hard to follow (chain rule that uses parametric equations), explanation of epsilon delta not quite clear for someone first learning it, 2 more problems (I can't rememer). Doesn't really cover geometry as a geometry book does. However some problems can get geometrically challenhing. Very good section on conics/ polar coordiantes. Integration techniques are explained in a lucid manner.

Make sure to get an older edition of thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed. Be very careful when ordering. There are many differnt versions of thomas hat were written later. They are not the same book.

8. Apr 20, 2015 #7
    Is this a good one to buy? https://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Ana...ywords=calculus+with+analytic+geometry+3rd+ed

there is also this version https://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Analytic-Geometry-Edition-Mathematics/dp/B0000CKUFL/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

why does the 3rd edition have about half of the pages as the 9th edition, does the 3rd edition which is only 700 pages cover calculus 3/multi variable calculus.

9. Apr 21, 2015 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. Apr 21, 2015 #9
    "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons! It is the best of best calculus book I ever known (in my personal opinion, much better than Lang or Thomas). Simmon's book contains both theoretical and applicable aspects, and they are well addressed and explained by him. It even has a comprehensive Appendix that addresses the proofs behind essential theorems in single- and multi-variable calculus without being too technical. I strongly recommend this book.

11. Apr 25, 2015 #10
    I've the 11th edition of Thomas' Calculus. I don't say that it is the best book, but it is a nice one.

Other than that, you can try Gilbert Strang's calculus book.

Books don't matter much, methinks. Find anyone, and start studying it.

12. Apr 25, 2015 #11
    Many people make this same exact mistake. The Thomas calculus book you see today, is not the same book in earlier editions. Thomas calculus has 100 percent completely changed. Please do not make such statements.

13. Apr 25, 2015 #12
    Once again, I strongly recommend "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by George F, Simmons. Simply the incredible introductory book on calculus with both rigors and good balance between theoretical and applicational aspects of calculus. I thought Thomas's Calculus is only good for the problem sets (preparation for GRE) but not in the contents.

14. Apr 25, 2015 #13
    The 3rd and newer editions is not the same book. One is a concise under 700 pages of no nonsense explanations. The newer editions of thomas is preaty much like all other giant glossy calculus textbooks.

Please stop spreading falsified information. Although you may not be doing it from malice, but rather from ignorance, your option which has no basis can differ students who want to learn calculus from a really great and amazing book

15. Apr 25, 2015 #14
    The proofs in the 3ed of thomas are not sent to the appendix, rather done in the main portion of the txt.

16. Apr 25, 2015 #15
    thomas calculus it is not the best.
    but it is good textbook.
    Gilbert Strang's calculus, i heard about it.
    it is good book too.

17. Apr 25, 2015 #16
    Mr. MidgetDwarf,

Your words are are quite harsh. I had read older editions of Thomas Calculus, mainly the "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" 7th and 9th editions. I agree that older editions of Thomas are quite good but I still stand with Simmons textbook for more insight, connectivity, and details of calculus. Have you read Simmons book?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  18. Apr 25, 2015 #17
    So so, reads to much like a Howard Anton text which isn't a bad thing. Prefer Lang over Simmons if I want a book with writing style similarities. I do not think my words were harsh. I explained myself numerous times that the current Thomas is not the same Thomas as the older ones. Even the 7th and 9th editions are truly a complete different book from the2,3,4 ed. (Have not seen 5th). People like Emanuel and the person who I previously responded offer opinions on a book(s) they have never seen. Emmanual does not even know calculus and he is critiquing a calculus book.

That would be me critiquing an analysis book and I havnt even started/completed an analysis course.

Simmon's is an ok book. The price is kinda scary tho. Comparing a 5 dollar text book(nice and portable I may add), to one that cost a bit more and does a less better job, I would pick thomas.

Simmon's is above Stewart, Larson, etc.

Earl Sokowski book is a also nice (proof/theorem approach), however the problem sets ruin a decent book.

19. Apr 25, 2015 #18
    What kind of statements are you referring to? I've not made any claims. Nor have I suggested any potential review on the 9th edition based on my 11th edition textbook.
    I've just given mine review based on 11th edition.

20. Apr 25, 2015 #19
    Mr. MidgetDwarf,

Could you tell me why Serge Lang's Calculus (I assume you meant his two-volume single- and multi-variable calculus) books are preferable than Simmons? I read his single-variable calculus and I felt that his book is not comprehensive as Simmons. As for rigorousness, I think they are the same. I would like to know your input, just out of curiosity. Have you read his multivariable calculus book too? If so, what is your opinion about that text? Is it better than Marsden or Hubbard (which I am reading now)?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  21. Apr 30, 2015 #20
    Well I think enamoral has read many calculus books and he has the right to critique them.Do not attack my friend please

I am going to buy a version of thomas calculs and analytic geometry after I finish quick calclus in 2 weeks. Does the 3rd edition cover multivariable calculus? why is the 9th edition so much larger in terms of the number of pages? Do the books cover the same content? PLEASE ;_____; help me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted