Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus for dummies, the book

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    Someone on this forum mentioned to me the book calculus for dummies is a book, and even though the author mentions what he says isn't strict by any means, people have told me its a waste of money. Is this true? At least, it makes the concepts easier to grasp.

For an example the integral (the anti derivitave ) he explains that the interval with a limit (without the +C) from a to b is like taking a object and its curvature and the a is the bottom and the b is the top. is this a good way to look of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

JesseM

Science Advisor

I don't understand quite what you mean by "taking a object and its curvature" here--could you quote a paragraph of the book? An integral can be understood as the area underneath a curve from one point to another, if that's what you mean...see the diagram here, where the value of the integral is equal to the purple area under the curve, with a and b being two points along the x-axis.

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    Quantum Theory: is this a good way to look of it?

Are you sure there was not a picture to look at along with the explanation?

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4
    my friend has it and he says its SO helpful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?