Calculus Help: Differentials (Rates)

In summary, a hemispherical dome with radius 48 feet will be given a coat of paint 0.07 inches thick. Use differentials to estimate the number of gallons of paint that will be needed to paint the dome.
buffgilville
A hemispherical dome with radius 48 feet will be given a coat of paint 0.07 inches thick. Use differentials to estimate the number of gallons of paint that will be needed to paint the dome.

Here's what I did:
f(x+h) = f '(x)h + f(x) and v=4/3pi*r^3; r=48ft.

volume of the dome:
V=4/3pi*r^3 = f(r)

I set (r+h) to be the radius of the paint volume
so, V=4/3pi*(r+h)^3 = f(r+h)

then, f(r+h) = f '(r)h + f(r)

The question just want the volume of paint needed, so I subtracted f(r)
f(r+h)=f '(r)h + f(r) - f(r), simplify

then, f(r+h)=f'(r)h

derivative, V(paint) = 4/3pi*r^3, then dv/dr(paint)=4pi*r^2

given: r=48 feet, h=0.07inches = 0.0058333feet

f(r+h)=f'(r)h => f(r+h) = 4pi*(48)^2*0.0058333

I got approximately 168.891056 gallons, but the correct answer is 631.7000268 gallons.

What did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked all of your work? (even the problem and your starting points)

Oh, and BTW,

The question just want the volume of paint needed, so I subtracted f(r)
f(r+h)=f '(r)h + f(r) - f(r), simplify

then, f(r+h)=f'(r)h

You know full well what you have written is wrong: the left hand side of this last equation should not be f(r+h).

I just realized the question asks for a hemispherical dome, not a sphere. Can someone please help me with this question? Thanks

Doesn't this realization suggest a change to your attempt at solving it?

I keep getting the wrong answer. :confused:

Have you checked your arithmetic and conversions as well? For instance, I entered this into google:

4 * pi * (48 feet)^2 * (0.07 inches) in gallons

and the result was 1,263 US gallons, not then 168 you got.

Find the volume of the outer sphere and the inner sphere. What is the volume between the spheres? How can differentials be used to get a volume? Also, the choice of a good (bad) coordinate system will make the problem much easier (harder).
/s

1. What are differentials in calculus?

Differentials in calculus are used to represent a small change in a variable, typically denoted by dx. They are used to calculate rates of change, especially in the context of derivatives and integration.

2. How do I find differentials in calculus?

To find differentials in calculus, you can use the formula dy = f'(x)dx, where f'(x) is the derivative of the function and dx is the small change in the variable.

3. What is the purpose of using differentials in calculus?

The purpose of using differentials in calculus is to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, especially when the function is continuously changing. Differentials also help in finding the rate of change of a function.

4. How are differentials related to derivatives and integrals?

Differentials are closely related to derivatives and integrals in calculus. Derivatives are used to calculate the slope of a tangent line at a point, while integrals are used to calculate the area under a curve. Differentials, on the other hand, are used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point and to calculate rates of change.

5. Can differentials be used in real-life applications?

Yes, differentials are used extensively in real-life applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, and to make predictions based on continuously changing variables.