1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus help!

1. Aug 20, 2004 #1
    On what intervals is y= l 2-x l increasing or decreasing?? Wouldnt it be its always increasing cause of the absolute symbol, but thats not the answer.

Also find where x/(x^2) - 1 is increasing/decreasing??

Given tan(xy)= x^2, find y'

y' of (sinx)^x

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2004 #2
    I am concern about the fact the answer to our first question is really obvious, but your two last ones are not so easy. If somebody asked you to tackle non-linear differential equations, you should be able to solve absolute value problems for a while now.

4. Aug 20, 2004 #3
    Whether or not a function is positive has nothing to do with it being increasing or decreasing. Draw a graph of |2 - x|. Surely the answer will come to you.

For the other function, study the sign of its derivative.

5. Aug 20, 2004 #4
    Uh..shouldn't this be in the homework forum??

Anyway - if my memory serves me correctly, the y = |2-x| is a "V" shaped graph - that should help you with the visualisation. I'm sure you'll figure out the rest of the problem once you draw the graph.

6. Aug 20, 2004 #5
    #1 Maybe it would help you if you broke it into an inequality

y= l 2-x l is equivalent to

if x > 2 then y= -1*(2-x)
    if x < 2 then y = 2-x

for #2 where is that functions critical points? i.e. where does it’s derivative = 0. Then in what intervals of the critical points is the derivative positive?

#3 Given tan(xy)= x^2, find y'

Ill give you a hint the derivative of the left is

The derivative of tan(xy) multiplied by the quantity x’y + y’x

This is implicit differentiation so you will need to solve for y’

#4 y' of (sinx)^x

If y = (sinx)^x
    This is chain rule.
    The outer most function is g(x) = k^x and the inner function is k(x) = sinx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?