1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus help

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    calculus help :(

John has to carry a long piece of wood horizontally around the corner from a hallway of width 2 m to a hallway of width 2.5 m. Assuming that the piece of wood has no width, what is the maximum length of this piece of wood (in meters)? Give answer to two decimal places.

i do not get htis question. any help would be greatly appreciated.

the way i tried it was to just use pythagorums theorum and i got 3.20, but i dotn think thats right.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2
    Imagine a L-shaped passage which changes its width while turning from a width of 2m to a width of 2.5 m and you are carrying the piece of wood horizontally , so when you turn, you will face problem if your piece of wood is too long . Calculate the length needed at critical turning point.

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But what if it is carried this way? (Refer picture)
    In this case, let the angle the rod make with the horizontal be "theta".
    Find the length of each part of the rod in term's of theta. Now the sum of the length of each part is constant. So use calculus and find the maximum value

Attached Files:

5. Jun 30, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that's exactly what Dr. Brain was saying! (Your "horizontal" is different from his!)
  6. Jun 30, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Punjabi, you following this? I've attached a graph, drawn to scale. Note where theta is. Can you calculate the length of the ladder (or wood or whatever) across both hallways as a function of theta? The ladder will just fit around the corner when this function reaches a minimum. You can calculate that right? What is the ladder length as a function of theta? Break it up into two parts, h and k, as functions of theta.

Attached Files:

7. Jul 8, 2005 #6

you are trying to max x +y

2.5/sinθ + 2/cosθ = sum

from this part i get confused...

2.5/cosθ - 2/sinθ = ds/dt
    2.5/cosθ - 2/sinθ = 0
    2.5/cosθ = 2/sinθ

the answer is 6.35.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  8. Jul 8, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your derivative is wrong. Those trig functions are in the denominators of those fractions.

[tex] \frac{dsin\theta}{d\theta} = cos\theta \ ,\ \ but \ \ \ \frac{d}{d\theta}\left[\frac{1}{sin\theta}\right] \ne \frac{1}{cos\theta} [/tex]
  9. Jul 8, 2005 #8
    then would it be:
    2.5cscθ + 2secθ = y
    2.5(-cscθ)(cotθ)(dθ/dt) + 2(secθ)(tanθ)(dθ/dt) = y'
    2.5(-cscθ)(cotθ)(dθ/dt) + 2(secθ)(tanθ)(dθ/dt) = 0

and what would u do next? i am confused.
  10. Jul 8, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did t come from? To find the θ that maximizes the length, differentiate with respect to θ:

-2.5 (cscθ)(&cotθ)+ 2(secθ)(tanθ)= 0.

You should be able to 2.5 cos3θ+ 2sin3= 0.
  11. Jul 8, 2005 #10
    ok thanks for your help...i managed to get the right answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?