Should I Retake Calculus I over the Summer to Prepare for Calculus II?

In summary, it's probably not worth retaking calculus I, but you might benefit from taking calculus II if you struggle with optimization problems.
drewc830
Hello,

I am a Computer Science major still knocking out some of my gen eds. Unfortunately, today I found out that a made a 79 on one of my final Calculus I tests. This has brought my letter grade down to a mid-high B. I was planning on taking Calculus II over the summer, however, now I am concerned that I will not do well. The test I did not do so well on was mostly over optimization problems. My question is, should I retake Calculus I over the summer to reinforce my knowledge and make an A or should I continue on with Calculus II. I have started going back to school a year ago and am still getting back in swing with my math skills as I was always pretty good at math in high school.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't see optimization again in calculus 2. Or at least, that's usually the case. I wouldn't recommend retaking it. I'd just recommend understanding where you made mistakes and focus on improving that thought process as well as your comfort with the material.

Likes symbolipoint
If you struggled with application type problems there will be application type problems early that I think are actually harder with integration. I think the biggest thing with application problems(for me ) is they require more practice to see what approach you need. You have to see a good number of them to recognize what to do.

I would not retake it unless you failed, you clearly understand the material if you have a mid B but just made some errors on exams which is normal.

I found that optimization was the most difficult part of calculus 1. The problems were enormously varied and relatively complicated compared to the rest of the material, and mostly solvable on a case-to-case basis. There's no shame in a B+, but if you're like me and you just have to achieve the standard you set for yourself or the whole world crumbles, then yea, re-take the course. The rule I generally follow is anything below a B needs to be retaken for me to have any hope moving forward with my degree.

phion said:
The rule I generally follow is anything below a B needs to be retaken for me to have any hope moving forward with my degree.

That's a bit silly. Getting a B at most means that you should practice more and self-study it a bit more. Taking the course again is totally unnecessary. The thing is that you (perhaps unconsciously) learn a lot when you do more advanced material. So it is better to move on, since you will continue to learn it anyway.

Likes vela
micromass said:
That's a bit silly. Getting a B at most means that you should practice more and self-study it a bit more. Taking the course again is totally unnecessary. The thing is that you (perhaps unconsciously) learn a lot when you do more advanced material. So it is better to move on, since you will continue to learn it anyway.
I understand this principle is a little bit naive going forward since I'm sure I'll get to courses where the class average is like 30%. While I do prefer to look ahead, I'm cautious with the self knowledge that while I can grasp things conceptually, my ability to construct those concepts and relate them to one another in order to utilize the mathematics in a meaningful or useful way is severely hampered. Either way, the challenge and joy is what keeps me going.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Calculus I and II?

Calculus I and II are both introductory courses in calculus, but Calculus I primarily covers differentiation (finding rates of change) while Calculus II focuses on integration (finding areas under curves).

2. What topics are typically covered in Calculus I?

Calculus I usually covers limits, derivatives, applications of derivatives, and basic integration. It serves as a foundation for further study in calculus.

3. How is Calculus I and II used in real life?

Calculus is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve a wide range of problems involving rates of change, optimization, and approximation.

4. Is Calculus I and II difficult?

Calculus can be challenging for some students due to its abstract nature and use of advanced mathematical concepts. However, with diligent studying and practice, it can be mastered by most students.

5. What are some tips for success in Calculus I and II?

Some tips for success in Calculus I and II include attending lectures and actively participating in class, practicing regularly with a variety of problems, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and staying organized and on top of assignments and exams.