1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus I and II Question

1. May 13, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I am a Computer Science major still knocking out some of my gen eds. Unfortunately, today I found out that a made a 79 on one of my final Calculus I tests. This has brought my letter grade down to a mid-high B. I was planning on taking Calculus II over the summer, however, now I am concerned that I will not do well. The test I did not do so well on was mostly over optimization problems. My question is, should I retake Calculus I over the summer to reinforce my knowledge and make an A or should I continue on with Calculus II. I have started going back to school a year ago and am still getting back in swing with my math skills as I was always pretty good at math in high school.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2
    You won't see optimization again in calculus 2. Or at least, that's usually the case. I wouldn't recommend retaking it. I'd just recommend understanding where you made mistakes and focus on improving that thought process as well as your comfort with the material.

4. May 14, 2015 #3
    If you struggled with application type problems there will be application type problems early that I think are actually harder with integration. I think the biggest thing with application problems(for me ) is they require more practice to see what approach you need. You have to see a good number of them to recognize what to do.

I would not retake it unless you failed, you clearly understand the material if you have a mid B but just made some errors on exams which is normal.

5. May 14, 2015 #4

phion

Gold Member

I found that optimization was the most difficult part of calculus 1. The problems were enormously varied and relatively complicated compared to the rest of the material, and mostly solvable on a case-to-case basis. There's no shame in a B+, but if you're like me and you just have to achieve the standard you set for yourself or the whole world crumbles, then yea, re-take the course. The rule I generally follow is anything below a B needs to be retaken for me to have any hope moving forward with my degree.

6. May 14, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's a bit silly. Getting a B at most means that you should practice more and self-study it a bit more. Taking the course again is totally unnecessary. The thing is that you (perhaps unconsciously) learn a lot when you do more advanced material. So it is better to move on, since you will continue to learn it anyway.

7. May 14, 2015 #6

phion

Gold Member

I understand this principle is a little bit naive going forward since I'm sure I'll get to courses where the class average is like 30%. While I do prefer to look ahead, I'm cautious with the self knowledge that while I can grasp things conceptually, my ability to construct those concepts and relate them to one another in order to utilize the mathematics in a meaningful or useful way is severely hampered. Either way, the challenge and joy is what keeps me going.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook