1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus I - Differentiation

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (x^(3)+2x) / (x^(2)-5) d/dx = ?

2. Relevant equations
    d/dx (f/g) = (g d/dx (f) - f d/dx (g)) / g^2

3. The attempt at a solution

d/dx y = { (x^(2)-5) d/dx (x^(3)+2x) - (x^(3)+2x) d/dx (x^(2)-5) } / (x^(2)-5)^2

This is where it gets complicated for me.

{ (x^(2)-5)(2x^(2)+2) - (x^(3)+2x)(2x) } / (x^(2)-5)^2

I am pretty sure this is at least close, if it is wrong please tell me where I went wrong, and if it is right but not simplified can you explain how to simplify it further.

Thank you in advance, I hope that I gave you appropriate information.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's almost it. Except d/dx x^(3) is 3x^(2), not 2x^(2). About the only thing you can do to simplify is expand the products in the numerator and add them.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The only mistake I noticed was where you have d/dx(x^3 + 2x) = 2x^2 + 2. That should be 3x^2 + 2.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}~=~\frac{(x^2 - 5)(3x^2 + 2) - (x^3 + 2x)(2x)}{(x^2 - 5)^2}[/tex]

You might get some simplification if you multiply the two products in the numerator and then combine like terms.

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    Yep that was a careless typing error, thank you for validating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook