Calculus I Practice Problems with Limits and Derivatives

In summary, we discussed various limit problems, including one where the limit from the left of a function equaled positive infinity, another where we had to find numbers a and c to solve for the limit, and two problems involving limits and derivatives. We also talked about some helpful tips and rules for solving these types of problems.
dekoi
1.) lim x --> 1(left) (x^2 + |x| -2)/(|1-x|)

Since the limit is from the left, i made all absolute values pnegative, therefore numerator = x^2 - x - 2, and similarly denom. = (x-1). Then, by inspection, the limit would equal to + infinite.

2.) Find numbers a and c such that lim x --> 0 x/(sqrt(ax + c) -3) = 2

Multiplying first by the conjugate, and then assuming a value for either a or c (in my case, i let c = 9). Then, solving for a, i got 3. Is this assumption allowed/necessary?

3.) lim (x-->0) f(x^2)/x^2, where f(0)=0 and f'(0)=3.

No idea.

4.) Evaluate f'(P), where f(P) = tan(3P + sinP))

No idea.

5.) Prove: If lim x--> 6 f(x)g(x) exists, then limit must be f(6)g(6).

6.) Prove: If f is continuous at 5 and f(5)=2 and f(4)=3, then lim x-->2f(4x^2 - 11) =2

Thank you for absolutely any input. These are only a selected few (out of very many) that i was unsuccessful at solving.

Thank you again.

Physics news on Phys.org
#1 :
1. the numerator is x^2 + x -2 because when x approaches 1 from the left, it is a positive number; and can factorized.
2. simplify and i get -3.

4) Have you learned derivatives yet?

some things that may help you solve the problem

a) tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)
b) The two most important 'differentiation rules' here are the quotient and chain rule.
c) d/dx(sinx) = cosx, d/dx(cosx) = -sinx where d/dx is the derivative with respect to x if you haven't seen that notation before

Try posting anything you come up with

1. What is the purpose of practicing calculus problems with limits and derivatives?

The purpose of practicing calculus problems with limits and derivatives is to develop a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts of calculus and to improve problem-solving skills. These topics are essential for higher-level calculus courses and are also widely used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics.

2. How do limits and derivatives relate to each other in calculus?

Limits and derivatives are closely related in calculus. A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain point, while a derivative is the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. Derivatives are used to find the slope of a tangent line to a curve, which can then be used to calculate limits and solve various problems in calculus.

3. What are some common techniques for solving calculus problems with limits and derivatives?

Some common techniques for solving calculus problems with limits and derivatives include using algebraic manipulation, applying the rules of limits and derivatives, and using graphical representations and tables to visualize the problem. It is also important to understand the concept of continuity and how it relates to limits and derivatives.

4. Can calculus problems with limits and derivatives be solved without using a calculator?

Yes, calculus problems with limits and derivatives can be solved without using a calculator. In fact, it is recommended to solve these problems without a calculator to develop a better understanding of the underlying concepts and to improve problem-solving skills. However, a calculator can be a useful tool for checking the accuracy of solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits and derivatives in calculus?

Limits and derivatives have numerous real-world applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, derivatives are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, optimize functions in engineering and economics, and model population growth in biology. Limits are used to determine the maximum and minimum values of a function and to calculate the area under a curve.