1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus I Questions

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    1.) lim x --> 1(left) (x^2 + |x| -2)/(|1-x|)

Since the limit is from the left, i made all absolute values pnegative, therefore numerator = x^2 - x - 2, and similarly denom. = (x-1). Then, by inspection, the limit would equal to + infinite.

2.) Find numbers a and c such that lim x --> 0 x/(sqrt(ax + c) -3) = 2

Multiplying first by the conjugate, and then assuming a value for either a or c (in my case, i let c = 9). Then, solving for a, i got 3. Is this assumption allowed/necessary?

3.) lim (x-->0) f(x^2)/x^2, where f(0)=0 and f'(0)=3.

No idea.

4.) Evaluate f'(P), where f(P) = tan(3P + sinP))

No idea.

5.) Prove: If lim x--> 6 f(x)g(x) exists, then limit must be f(6)g(6).

6.) Prove: If f is continuous at 5 and f(5)=2 and f(4)=3, then lim x-->2f(4x^2 - 11) =2

Thank you for absolutely any input. These are only a selected few (out of very many) that i was unsuccessful at solving.

Thank you again.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2
    #1 :
    1. the numerator is x^2 + x -2 because when x approaches 1 from the left, it is a positive number; and can factorized.
    2. simplify and i get -3.

4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    4) Have you learned derivatives yet?

some things that may help you solve the problem

a) tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x)
    b) The two most important 'differentiation rules' here are the quotient and chain rule.
    c) d/dx(sinx) = cosx, d/dx(cosx) = -sinx where d/dx is the derivative with respect to x if you haven't seen that notation before

Try posting anything you come up with

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?