How do I find tangent lines passing through a given point on a graph?

In summary: I don't understand what you're trying to say.In summary, the conversation discusses two problems from a lab assignment that involve finding tangent lines for given functions. For problem A, the goal is to find all points on the graph of f(x)=x^2 that have tangent lines passing through the point (5,0). For problem B, the objective is to show that no line tangent to g(x)=1/x passes through the origin. The conversation goes on to discuss how to approach these problems, including finding the equations of tangent lines and considering the derivatives of the given functions. Ultimately, the explanation provides a clear understanding of how to solve these problems.
adillhoff

Homework Statement

A) Find all points on the graph of f(x)=x^2 with tangent lines passing through the point (5,0).

B) Show that no line tangent to g(x)=1/x passes through the origin.

These are problems from a lab problem solving assignment.

Homework Equations

y=mx+b

f`(x) = (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h

Not sure what to put, so excuse those functions if they aren't relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I understand what each graph looks like, but I am completely clueless as to how to approach this problem. I tried looking to my book for some sort of example, but can't find anything that directly relates to this sort of problem. I imagine the x-coordinates for problem A would have to be greater than 5. That's about as far as I can get. If I ask my professor about any of these problems she simply tells me to "think about it."

Question B:
It is apparent, by looking at the graph, that there is no tangent line that will pass through g(x)=1/x. I don't know how to show that though. There is a horizontal asymptote at y=0 and a vertical asymptote at x=0. So no tangent line could pass through the origin (though it would come very close). How would I show this?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the equation of a tangent line, try writing it -

you should be able to calculate the gradient f'(a) (look at thie limit of the equation you posted for the derivative) and you know a point the line passes through (a,f(a))...

adillhoff said:

Homework Statement

A) Find all points on the graph of f(x)=x^2 with tangent lines passing through the point (5,0).

B) Show that no line tangent to g(x)=1/x passes through the origin.

These are problems from a lab problem solving assignment.

Homework Equations

y=mx+b

f`(x) = (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h
This is not true. The derivative is the limit of that difference quotient, as h goes to 0. But I suspect that, by the time you are calculating tangent lines, you would be expected to know that the derivative of x2 is 2x.

Not sure what to put, so excuse those functions if they aren't relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I understand what each graph looks like, but I am completely clueless as to how to approach this problem. I tried looking to my book for some sort of example, but can't find anything that directly relates to this sort of problem. I imagine the x-coordinates for problem A would have to be greater than 5. That's about as far as I can get. If I ask my professor about any of these problems she simply tells me to "think about it."
You want the line to pass through (5, 0) so 0= m(5)+ b or b= -5m. You can write the equation as y= mx- 5m= m(x- 5). Now, the problem is you don't know where that line is tangent to y= x2. Let's just call that point (a, a2) so x= a. To be tangent at (a, a2) the line must pass through that point so those x and y values must satisfy the equation: a2= m(a- 5). At that point, the derivative, which is the slope of the tangent line, is 2a. Now you know you must have a2= (2a)(a- 5). Solve that equation for a and you can write out the equation of the tangent line.
The problem said "find all points" so there may be more than one answer.

Question B:
It is apparent, by looking at the graph, that there is no tangent line that will pass through g(x)=1/x. I don't know how to show that though. There is a horizontal asymptote at y=0 and a vertical asymptote at x=0. So no tangent line could pass through the origin (though it would come very close). How would I show this?
Pretty much the same thing. Any line passing through the origin is of the form y= mx. Suppose such a line were tangent to y= 1/x at (a, 1/a). Then it must pass through that line: 1/a= ma. Further, m must be the derivative of 1/x at x=a. What is that derivative?

HallsofIvy said:
This is not true. The derivative is the limit of that difference quotient, as h goes to 0. But I suspect that, by the time you are calculating tangent lines, you would be expected to know that the derivative of x2 is 2x.

I meant to put lim:x->h before the formula. Proofreading ftw.

HallsofIvy said:
You want the line to pass through (5, 0) so 0= m(5)+ b or b= -5m. You can write the equation as y= mx- 5m= m(x- 5). Now, the problem is you don't know where that line is tangent to y= x2. Let's just call that point (a, a2) so x= a. To be tangent at (a, a2) the line must pass through that point so those x and y values must satisfy the equation: a2= m(a- 5). At that point, the derivative, which is the slope of the tangent line, is 2a. Now you know you must have a2= (2a)(a- 5). Solve that equation for a and you can write out the equation of the tangent line.
The problem said "find all points" so there may be more than one answer.

The way you explained it made a lot more sense. I came up with y=10x-50. This line would pass through (5,0). I don't believe there are any other tangent lines on this graph that would also pass through (5,0). I guess you could take the line tangent to y=0 as well. It passes through all points, x.

HallsofIvy said:
Pretty much the same thing. Any line passing through the origin is of the form y= mx. Suppose such a line were tangent to y= 1/x at (a, 1/a). Then it must pass through that line: 1/a= ma. Further, m must be the derivative of 1/x at x=a. What is that derivative?

I sort of get it. I am sure it's easier than I am making it out to be in my head. I always overcomplicate a problem. The derivative for 1/x is -1/x^2. If we are working with (a, 1/a), would the formula be 1/a = (-1/x^2)(a)+b?

Thank you for the replies.

1. What is a tangent line in Calculus I?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at a single point. In Calculus I, we use tangent lines to approximate the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do you find the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line can be found using the derivative of the function at the point where the tangent line touches the curve. This is also known as the instantaneous rate of change.

3. What is the difference between a tangent line and a secant line?

A secant line is a line that intersects a curve at two points, while a tangent line only touches the curve at one point. A secant line can be used to find the average rate of change, while a tangent line gives the instantaneous rate of change.

4. How does the position of a tangent line change as the point moves along a curve?

As the point moves along a curve, the slope of the tangent line will change, causing the position of the tangent line to change. This is because the slope of a curve is constantly changing.

5. Can a tangent line be horizontal?

Yes, a tangent line can be horizontal. This occurs when the slope of the curve is zero at that point. In this case, the tangent line is also known as a horizontal tangent line.