1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II homework help

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    Calculus II homework help....

I am new to this forum and I found about this forum on talk.collegeconfidential.com. Well I have been having some trouble with my Calc II work . It would be great if someone could explain this problem to be

Find the total length of the astroid x=a (cos t)^3, y=a (sin t)^3, where a>0.

I think I know how to find the equation for the integral but I don't know how to find the limits.

Here is the work that I did so far:

x'=-3a cos^2 sin
    y'= 3a sin^2 cos

I set those equal to zero to find the critical points. I got 0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2, 2pi. Then I got stuck. I tried graphing it in the parametric mode in my calculator but I got a weird looking graph...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It should be easy to see that the limits are t= 0, t= [itex]2\pi[/itex]. You graph should be a diamond with sides "bulging" inward. Because the graph is in all four quadrants, each of x, y must be both positive and negative and you only get that for sine and cosine with the variable going from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex].
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?