Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II-III book

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    I am going to be taking calculus II-III next year and would like to know if there are any good non textbook books out there that would be a good read over the summer to get me familiar with the material that will be covered in each of these classes. I read "calculus, by Gootman" prior to taking calc one and it helped enormously. I have already checked out “How to ace the rest of calculus" but I would like something a hair more formal than that (something with practice problems). Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2
    You might try "The Calculus Tutoring Book" by Carol and Robert Ash, published by the IEEE...and/or "Calculus: An intuitive and physical approach" by Morris Kline, published by Dover. Both of them are very worthwhile, IMHO.

4. May 15, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whittaker & Watson "Course on Modern Analysis" is a good book.I got the 1927 edition.I think newer ones have been published.

Real nice & useful stuff.

Daniel.

5. May 15, 2005 #4
    Try "Multivariable Calculus" and "Calculus, Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. The former is for Cal 3 and the latter, Cals 1&2.They are textbooks, but are easy reads and the concepts and proofs are well explained.

Personally, there is nothing better than actual textbooks if your aim is to understand "quantitatively", and not just qualitatively.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?