1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II - Infinite Series

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The sereis sigma[k=1,inf] [(-1)^k/k^p] converges conditionally for
    (a) p<1
    (b) 0<p<=1
    (c) p>1
    (d) p=0
    (e) None of the above

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer key said that (b) was the correct answer and I'm having trouble understanding why

sigma[k=1,inf] |(-1)^k/k^p| = sigma[k=1,inf] |1/k^p|

I got rid of the (-1)^k because the absolute value function will always make it positive and k^p will always be positive for k=1 to infinity so I just got ride of the absolute sign all together

sigma[k=1,inf] 1/k^p

I thought determine which values of p makes this series converge I could determine what values of the original series allows the series to converge absolutely

sigma[k=1,inf] 1/k^p

Is a p-series which converge whenever p is greater one by the integral test

I don't see were I'm going wrong thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2
    You missed the key words, "converges conditionally". When does it converge conditionally? What does that mean?

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    ohhhh... that means when you take the absolute function around the function that describes the series what values of p does it diverge in which case it's 0<p<=1, I thought it asked me what values does it converge absolutley by accident thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook