1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II - Infinite Series

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I don't really need help with a problem, just having some troubles understanding something.

Find the interval of convergence of the series

sigma[n=0,inf] (x-1)^n/n^3
    by the root test I got that |x-1|<1 and that 0<x<2
    I than have to plug in these values (0 and 2) to see if the series converges or diverges at these endpoints... I however am confused by this. If we set x = 0 or x = 2 wouldn't the root test give us 1 and the root test states that if the limit equals one than the series converges. So what's the need of testing the end points? Like I know we have to just am not really sure why because than the root test would give us 1... I never understood why we test the end points and just sort of did so just because I was told we had to and was wondering if someone could explain this to me. I hope someone can clear up this confusion for me. Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Root test = 1 does NOT guarantee convergence. Look at sum_{n=1}^infinity 1. Does it converge? Does it satisfy root test = 1? Look at sum r^n /n. Root test implies convergence for |r| <= 1. Does the series converge at r = 1? At r = -1?

RGV

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    Well like I forgot myself and had to look up on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_test and it says that if r=1 than the series diverges so I thought it was always |r| < 1 not |r| <= 1?

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4
    If n=1 when using the root test, it means your answer is inconclusive AKA use another test (that's what RGV is hinting at).

6. Sep 18, 2011 #5
    hm interesting thanks

7. Sep 18, 2011 #6
    Sorry that I didn't answer your second question, if [tex]{n<1}[/tex] it will ALWAYS converge, if [tex]{n>1}[/tex] it will ALWAYS diverge! If [tex]{n<=1}[/tex] then I'm going to guess that it'll converge, but I've never seen a series that has n<=1!

This is for ratio/root test.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook