1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus II Problem: Dams and intergration by slicing

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
    The Deligne Dam on the Cayley River is built so that the wall facing the water is shaped like the region above the curve y=0.6 x^2 and below the line y= 164 . (Here, distances are measured in meters.) The water level can be assumed to be at the top of the dam. Find the force (in Newtons) exerted on the dam by water pressure. Water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3 . Since this is a metric problem, you must multiply the mass to be lifted by 9.8 m/sec^2 to convert to a weight.
    First give the integrand expressed in terms of y (the width of the dam must be expressed as a function of y).
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2005 #2
  4. Apr 9, 2005 #3
    i would find the volume of the damn using [tex]D=\frac{M}{V}[/tex]
    I'm not sure on that. Once you get volume,
    do volume times density to get mass. Multiply mass by 9.8 m/s^2. I think thats it, but could be wrong.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  5. Apr 9, 2005 #4
    you also might be able to get the width of the dam by finding the arclength of the dam.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?