1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus III: Center of Mass

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    Question Details:
    I have two circles centered at the origin, one with radius A and the other with radius b.

Looking at the hemiwasher (area between) the circles form above the x axis, find the values of A and B that place the center of mass within the hemiwasher itself, not in the open middle space.

What i think i has solved so far: not necesseraly accurate:
    I solved the Y value of the center of mass in terms of A and B to be:

:Y= (4(A^2+AB+B^2))/(3pi(A+B))

Please Help!

how can I use this to find values of a and b that put the y coordinate of the center of mass between a and b?

B is the smaller radii; the density is constant, so it is irrelvant.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, you want Y between A and B. You need to find A and B such that
    [tex]A\le \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)}\le B[/tex]

You won't be able to find specific values of A and B, of course. You want to find a relation between A and B that will guarentee that inequality. I would recommend that you look at
    [tex]A\le \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)}[/tex]
    [tex]B\ge \frac{4(A^2+AB+ B^2)}{3\pi (A+B)}[/tex]

Those should give you two relations between A and B. Both need to be satisfied.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?