Calculus III: Derivatives and composition

In summary, to disprove the given statement, you should focus on finding a counterexample where the derivative of (g o f)(X) simplifies to the identity matrix. This can be achieved by carefully choosing functions f and g that, when composed together, result in the desired derivative. Remember to consider non-linear functions as well. Good luck with your search!
rman144
I need prove or disprove the following statement:

If f: R^2->R^2 is a differentiable function whose derivative at (0,0) is not invertible, then there does not exist a differentiable function g: R^2->R^2 such that:

(g o f)(X)=X

I've been trying to find counter examples like crazy (f(x,y)=(x+y,x-y), (xy,x+y), etc.) but everything seems to agree. I think this is actually true, but I don't want an entire proof (I can do that work); just a hint or two as to which way I should begin to approach this (basically I just need a starting point).

Nevermind; I found the trick. I realized if (g o f)(X)=X, the derivative of this must be the identity matrix. From there, no problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You are on the right track with your approach. Since you are trying to disprove the statement, you should focus on finding a counterexample that shows the statement to be false. As you have already noted, the key is in the derivative of (g o f)(X). The derivative of a composition of functions is given by the chain rule, and in this case, it should simplify to the identity matrix. Therefore, you can start by looking for functions f and g that would result in a derivative of the identity matrix when composed together. This will help you find a counterexample to the statement. Keep in mind that the functions do not have to be linear, so you may need to think outside the box. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of derivatives in Calculus III?

The purpose of derivatives in Calculus III is to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. In other words, it measures how much a function changes when its inputs are changed. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems and modeling real-world phenomena.

2. How are derivatives calculated in Calculus III?

Derivatives in Calculus III are calculated using the chain rule, which is a method for finding the derivative of a composite function. This involves breaking down the composite function into simpler functions and applying the derivative rules to each part.

3. Can derivatives be applied to multivariable functions?

Yes, derivatives can be applied to multivariable functions in Calculus III. In this case, the derivative is called a partial derivative and measures the rate of change of the function with respect to only one of its input variables, while holding the other variables constant.

4. How are derivatives used to solve optimization problems?

Derivatives are used to solve optimization problems in Calculus III by finding the maximum or minimum values of a function. This is done by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero, then solving for the input variable that gives the maximum or minimum value.

5. What is the relationship between derivatives and composition of functions?

The relationship between derivatives and composition of functions in Calculus III is that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. This is known as the chain rule and is used to find the derivative of composite functions.