1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus III help!

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    I really have difficulty with spherical coordinates graphings. can someone help me with this problem?

Sketch the solid consisting of all points with spherical coordinates (ρ,θ,φ) such that 0≤ θ ≤π/2, 0≤ φ ≤π/6, and 0≤ ρ ≤2cosφ

thanks so much!

i think this looks like a bowl with radius ρ= root 3,
    then I don't understand how to graph theta and phi according to that range. that's where i got stuck.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The "range" of ρ is dependant upon the value of φ. So if you start at φ=0. At this point, all the ρ btw 0 and 2 are permitted. But as φ progresses towards π/6, ρ can ony take value btw 0 and 2cosφ. And at φ=π/6, it can only take values btw 0 and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]. In btw, the range of rho decrease as cosφ decreases btw 0 and π/6, i.e. very slowly at the begining (the crest of the cos) and then steadily until π/6.

Now that you've got the range of ρ and φ covered, just complete the volume by making θ vary.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?