Solve Calculus Equation for Physics | Get Free Gmail Account

In summary: I'm not sure what the original question was supposed to be. I think it was asking for someone to derive s= ut+1/2 at^2, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the answer is that you can solve for s by using the quadratic formula and then solving for t by using the quadratic formula again.
rush007
-------------========-------------===========-------------========
Can anyone tell me how to solve the s= ut+1/2 at^2 equation in calculus method ? It's urgent! :confused: The one with most detailed answer will get a free Gmail account!

Email me with the answer at riast.ullah@gmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
rush007 said:
Can anyone tell me how to solve the s= ut+1/2 at^2 equation in calculus method ? It's urgent! :confused: The one with most detailed answer will get a free Gmail account!

rush007 said:

I don't wonna such an account. So I'll post your an answer directly in this forum.

First you have to rewrite these all in integral and differential form. i.e. for
s=1/2at^2 you can do this by rewriting s=v*t by s=integral[v,dt]. If you go on with this (a=dv/dt and solve this for v you get v=integral[a,dt]. Thus plugging this in the above equation yields s=integral[integral[a,dt],dt]. do this with the ut part and you get what you want I think

I can comprehend neither this nor the original post! We are asked in the original post to "solve the s= ut+1/2 at^2 equation in calculus method ?". I have no idea what that means! It is a quadratic equation in t so you could solve for t by using the quadratic formula. It is a linear equation in u and a so you could solve for either of those by using elementary methods. None of those have anything to do with "calculus method" so apparently that isn't what is intended.

I think that Kruger is interpreting this as "derive s= ut+ (1/2)at^2, s is the distance an object moved in time t, a is the constant acceleration and u is the speed at t=0".
He may well be write but that is a heckuvalot more than was said! Assuming that was the intended question, I'm not sure I would phrase exactly as Kruger did.

Acceleration is defined as "the derivative of the speed function" so speed is the anti-derivative of the acceleration. If acceleration is a constant, a, then its antiderivative is simply u(t)= at+ C (C is the arbitrary "constant of integration"). Since (presumably) u(0)= u, u(0)= a(0)+ C= u so C=u and u(t)= at+ u.
But speed is the derivative of the distance function so distance is the anti-derivative of speed, u(t). An anti-derivative of t is (1/2)t^2 and an anti-derivative of the constant u is, again, ut. The anti-derivative of at+ u is (1/2)at^2+ ut+ C where C is again the "constant of integration". Assuming that s is measure from the position at t=0, we have s(0)= (1/2)(0)^2+ u(0)+ C= 0 so C= 0 and s(t)= (1/2)t^2+ ut.

Rush007: Please take the time to state the entire problem as clearly as possible! Showing us what you have already tried or what you think you do understand about the problem will also help us understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of solving calculus equations for physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that is used to model and analyze physical phenomena. By solving calculus equations, we can better understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, such as the trajectory of a ball thrown in the air or the acceleration of a car.

2. How are calculus equations used in physics?

In physics, calculus equations are used to describe the relationship between various physical quantities, such as position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are used to mathematically model and analyze the motion of objects and systems, and are essential for understanding the laws of motion and other principles in physics.

3. Can I use a free Gmail account to solve calculus equations for physics?

Yes, you can use a free Gmail account to solve calculus equations for physics. There are many online resources and tools available that allow you to input equations and receive solutions, and most of these tools can be accessed through a Gmail account.

4. What are some common calculus equations used in physics?

Some common calculus equations used in physics include the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion (x= x0 + v0t + ½at^2), as well as the equations for force (F=ma) and work (W=Fd).

5. Are there any tips for solving calculus equations for physics?

One tip for solving calculus equations for physics is to clearly define and label all variables and units. It is also helpful to break down the equation into smaller, simpler steps and to double check your calculations for accuracy. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with common calculus equations can improve your problem-solving skills.