Calculus Is Awesome! - Mathguy

• Thread starter Mathguy15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the group discusses their opinions on calculus and its usefulness in various situations. Some prefer to have a more challenging introduction to the subject, while others enjoy the power it holds in many mathematical problems. There is also a debate on whether Newton or Leibniz is the better "inventor" of calculus, with a joke about derivatives thrown in. The conversation also touches on the importance of spelling rules and the potential for linear algebra to excel in solving computer algorithms and codes.
Mathguy15
Hello,

I just wanted to point out a fact obvious to most of you, the fact that:

CALCULUS IS AWESOME!

That is all,
Bye
Mathguy

Physics news on Phys.org
It is amazing.

I pity people who are introduced to in a gentle step by step fashion, making it all seems natural and obvious. It's much more fun when you find it totally confusing and then finally BAM! the light dawns.

But don't expect too much from calculus. It's power in a vast number of situations can mislead you into thinking it can tackle anything. When it comes to things like finding computer algorithms to interpret pictures or decrypt codes, its capability is less impressive. Maybe we've yet to invent the best math for things like that.

Well, it wasn't completely obvious, or gentle, really. But, now that my mind is oriented the way it should, it's really fun :smile:

Stephen Tashi said:
It's power in a vast number of situations can mislead you into thinking it can tackle anything.

This. Calculus is a sledgehammer. Sure you can open a walnut with a sledgehammer, but do you want to?

I'm pretty sure you've seen the "fence by the river problem": you have a length of wood P long and you need to build a rectangular fence with one side the river bank. A student using calculus would set up the equations
##A = xy##
##P = 2x + y##
then solve the second equation for y, then substitute into the first equation, then differentiate and find the stationary point, find y, and finally prove that you have a max. It'll take at least half a page.

Or you can just use the AM-GM inequality
##A = xy = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2xy}^2 \leq \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{2x+y}{2}\right)^2 = \frac{P^2}{8}##
with equality when ##2x=y## and the problem is solved. Just because calculus can tackle a lot of different problems does not mean it is always the best tool for the job.

Oh yes, I think that example is indeed pertinent. I had an algebra book that had a chapter devoted to inequalities, so when I see that problem or others like it, I think AM-GM.

Mathguy15 said:
CALCULUS IS AWESOME!

I'm glad it plays such an integral role in your life.

ApplePion said:
I'm glad it plays such an integral role in your life.

He derives much pleasure from it.

lisab said:

Ah, our first derivative joke.

Would anyone like to make a second derivative joke?

So which "inventor" do you favor, Newton or Leibniz?

I probably would have better understood calculus if the 3 classes I took were split up into 4 or 5 classes. We had to rush through a lot of things and not talk about a lot of things just to get through it in 3 semesters. I might take advanced calculus. Anyone know the prereq for it?

leroyjenkens said:
I probably would have better understood calculus if the 3 classes I took were split up into 4 or 5 classes. We had to rush through a lot of things and not talk about a lot of things just to get through it in 3 semesters. I might take advanced calculus. Anyone know the prereq for it?
Depends on the school, but if you've taken all 3 semesters, you should be fine. Maybe linear algebra would help (LA always helps).

SW VandeCarr said:

Newton was kind of a jerk

ChiralWaltz said:
Newton was kind of a jerk

Aw, now what makes you say that?

Mathguy15 said:
Aw, now what makes you say that?

He really was. Read up on his life, he was a really mean person. Nevertheless, he was insanely smart!

lisab said:

As long as he doesn't drink and derive, he should be okay. :biggrin:

SW VandeCarr said:

micromass said:
He really was. Read up on his life, he was a really mean person. Nevertheless, he was insanely smart!

Yeah, but both of those chicks had awesome hair.

My dentist told me I have calculus in my teeth. I figure it fell down from my brain.

SW VandeCarr said:

I wonder which one actually took the first derivative?

lisab said:
I wonder which one actually took the first derivative?

Definitely Liebniz. All of Newton's work was rather *puts on sunglasses* derivative.

Peppino said:
Definitely Liebniz. All of Newton's work was rather *puts on sunglasses* derivative.

You don't happen to be a detective of a major network TV show called "CSI" by any chance?

peppino said:
definitely liebniz. All of Newton's work was rather *puts on sunglasses* derivative.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah

Mathguy15 said:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah

Last edited by a moderator:
Peppino said:

*studies finger nails*

Andre said:
... I realize that there is not a lot of difference between the ei from Einstein and the ie from Einstien, ...

I don't know if you spell it differently in Europe, but my sources spell it Leibniz, even though it's pronounced like it was "Liebniz" here in the US.

SW VandeCarr said:
I don't know if you spell it differently in Europe, but my sources spell it Leibniz, even though it's pronounced like it was "Liebniz" here in the US.

Yes it's Leibniz. My google doesn't even want to search 'Liebniz' and tells it searches for 'Leibniz' instead. But the observation is how often in English ei and ie are confused, while no German or Dutch will ever make that mistake.

Pronounce it like l-eye-b-niths, not leabniths

Last edited:
Oh snap, I almost forgot spelling rules

Stephen Tashi said:
When it comes to things like finding computer algorithms to interpret pictures or decrypt codes, its capability is less impressive. Maybe we've yet to invent the best math for things like that.

We do, it's called Linear Algebra!

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding the area or volume of irregular shapes.

Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a powerful set of tools for solving complex problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It also helps us better understand and describe the world around us.

What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and the calculation of areas and volumes.

What are some real-world applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many real-world applications, including predicting the motion of objects, optimizing business and economic models, understanding population growth, and designing bridges and buildings. It is also used in many technological advancements, such as computer graphics, GPS systems, and medical imaging.

Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Learning Calculus can be challenging for some people, but with practice and patience, it can be mastered. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before delving into Calculus. With a positive attitude and determination, anyone can learn and appreciate the beauty of Calculus.