Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculus limit

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey the question is similar to this one

Evaluate the limit

lim (x/x+4)^x
    x->infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

my attempt was

to change it to

lim x->infinity e^(x.(ln(x/x+4))
    then i dont know where to go from there

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Let [tex]L=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{x}{x+4})^x[/tex]

Take ln on both sides

[tex]ln L =ln \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{x}{x+4})^x \Rightarrown L =ln \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} x ln\frac{x}{x+4}[/tex]

4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Here is a hint:
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (1 + \frac{c}{x})^x = e^c[/tex], where c is a constant.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  5. May 9, 2008 #4
    Well, Latex is not co-operating, but rock.freak667's comment just needs a little tweaking. There's an extra L in the second part of the equation, and an extra 'ln' in the 3rd part, and the 'x' should be moved to the front. Since I tried altering what he's posted by quoting, and consequently fell flat on my face with Latex difficulties, it's almost certain that rock.freak suffered from the troubles.

6. May 9, 2008 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Crudely
    [tex]L=\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{x}{x+4})^x = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{x}{x})^x = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}(1)^x = 1[/tex]

Personally I do these things in intuitive way; it may not satisfy math criteria you are supposed to. :wink: For me it has the advantage that the answer is fairly obvious, I suppose I could be misled in some way in some strange cases. Although that was sufficient for me it might be better to insert a step

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{x}{x+4})^x = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{x+4-4}{x+4})^x = _{x\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{x+4}{x+4} - \frac{4}{x+4})^x = etc.[/tex]

will that do? :uhh:

7. May 9, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … math criteria are there for a reason!

Stick with pizzasky's method! :smile:

8. May 9, 2008 #7
    I'm not sure... Since (x/ (x+4)) is a touch under 1, putting it to the power of infinity will reduce it towards zero (but not necessarily zero). Just try this with x=100, x=1000, x=10^6. The drop off is apparent.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  9. May 9, 2008 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To make it obscure? :rofl:

They don't deliver in my area. :smile:

10. May 9, 2008 #9
    I stand corrected. Pizzasky's method (which is correct) shows e^-4 is the limit, and this agrees with the number I arrived at using the computer's calculator, which found e^-3.999999992 as the number when x = 10^9. well done

11. May 9, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo … to help you pass the exams! :wink:
    I live in a volume
    :biggrin: … gives me room for pizza! :biggrin:

12. May 9, 2008 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I stand corrected too.:redface:

13. May 9, 2008 #12

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

How about: To get the right answer. The limit here is NOT 1!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook